4.27.2010

The Results of Faith, Hope, and Perseverance: Success!

Obviously, since we have Aria and by my title, we did have success the second time around with in vitro. However, we didn't get through it without some discouragement. As I mentioned in my previous entry, the doctors decided to try the drugs a bit differently this time. The cycle was shorter and I had higher doses of drugs. I didn't really notice a difference in how I physically responded, but my body did. The first time we went through the cycle, I created many eggs and they grew just how they were supposed to. This time, things didn't look as promising. When we went for the ultrasounds and blood tests, I just wasn't responding to the drugs like they hoped. Instead of making even more eggs this time, there were fewer. I feared we tried again too soon. I thought my body was just confused with all the different drugs over the last 3 months. The doctors said that wasn't true, though. When they originally mapped out the cycle for us, we were going to be doing a retrieval in the last few days of April or the first couple days of May. They just kept pushing it back and giving me more drugs in hopes of getting more eggs. Finally, we could wait no longer and we had to go in for the egg retrieval again on May 7. I won't describe the process again, but we experienced another "these people want Justin and Julie Pegump to have a baby" moment. On the ultrasounds, it appeared we may only get 8-10 eggs this time to start with. Well, the main doctor we dealt with didn't perform my egg retrieval procedure this time, at least at the start. We learned after the procedure that he came in part way through and finished the egg retrieval to make sure he got every egg. They got 14 eggs! We were shocked! It turned out our cycle was very similar to the first one, but with very different results! There were only 8 eggs that fertilized and made it past the first day. Of those 8, there was 1 really great one and the rest not so great. Again, that 1 really great one was the one that Reprogenetics told us was either normal or balanced! However, this time when we went for the transfer on May 12, the embryo was in the blastocyst stage, which is much further along and much healthier than we had the first time. I've included pictures for you to see Aria in her early stages! I know this looks like a blob to everyone, but notice how there are 2 separate clusters? One of those clusters turns into the baby and one turns into the placenta. I didn't include the pictures of the other embryos we had that had already died, but there was not 2 separate clusters on any of those. We learned a lot about genetics and the creation of life, so even we could tell this was a good one!This is a photo of Aria as it says, on May 12, 2009 just a short time before they transferred her into my uterus. It is magnified like 400 times. Now, I know all parents are so excited to show off ultrasound pictures, but how many can boast a picture of their child when she was only just a few cells!


This is a picture of Aria after they transferred her into my uterus. Notice the times: 12:55 above and 1:31 below! The white blob almost directly in the center of the pic is what you are looking at. The white blob isn't actually Aria, it is the fluid around her. She was too small to see with the naked eye at this point, hence the above picture magnified 400 times.


Not to make the men out there squirmy, but having Aria transferred into my uterus feels similar to the yearly exam we get ladies. And, I'll tell you, I've never had so much fun at one of those as I did on May 12. We had a team of 2 female doctors, the female embryologist, and a female nurse. They were all on a roll that day, cracking jokes and encouraging us so much! They asked what I did and I told them about teaching TAG students and I got to hear some great stories from those very intelligent doctors about their school days and how bored they often were. I just knew by the positive vibe they gave off in that room that this in vitro cycle was going to work. However, we were much more cautious this time. We didn't really celebrate that much because we could still feel the pain of February 17, less than 3 months ago at that point. So, we waited on pins and needles for May 22 when we could hear the news of pregnant or not. In those 10 days, I wanted to feel confident because I physically felt different. But, I thought my mind could just be playing tricks. Well, May 22 came. On that day we went to the University in the morning to do the blood test. We decided we would get together after work and call the phone line to hear the results together. It was a Friday and I could leave school at 2:45. Justin took part of the afternoon off to be home about 3 with me. He beat me home. As I was driving home I received a call from a University number. I didn't want to answer it until I had Justin with me and especially not while I was driving because the emotions probably would cause a wreck. So, the person left a message. When I got home I told Justin about the call and we decided to listen to the message. On the message, it was a nurse from the University telling me she really needed me to call her back ASAP so she could get that prescription to me before the long weekend. We knew that if I was not pregnant, I wouldn't need a prescription. So, then we called the phone line to be sure and heard our great news! The pregnancy test was positive! I was really pregnant! It was the greatest moment of my life! We laughed and cried and hugged and went nuts! Augie went nuts with us. We called the nurse back and she said my estrogen levels were a little low and I needed to take some meds to boost them. I asked her if that was a big cause for concern, like maybe we shouldn't celebrate. She said it was a red flag, but that I was definitely pregnant and we could celebrate. She suggested waiting to tell people until we saw the heartbeat at 7 weeks, but again, I was definitely pregnant! Once I was done talking to the nurse, I called my mom and dad who were driving somewhere...I don't remember where. When my mom answered, I said, "Guess when my due date is?" And she responded, crying, "January 28!" She was exactly right! How did she know? Stay tuned to a future posting to find out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julie,
Barb shared this with me and I just finished reading it. I am in tears and have goosebumps. I too had infertility issues, although not nearly what you went through. It really brought back memories for me of our infertility challenges. I am so excited that you are blogging all of this, I wish I had done that when we were going through it. Aria is truly blessed to have the two of you as parents, and how blessed are you to have been given the miracle baby that you were given. I wish you all the best and can't wait to hear "the rest of the story"!
Paula