If you haven't heard of Operation Christmas Child, you need to click on this link and read about it and pray about it and then hurry up and pack a shoebox. We found out about this awesome opportunity through our church and had a wonderful time packing our boxes together as a family last weekend.
Let me back up and say that we did a shoe box with Aria last year where she got to pick out things for the box, but I'm not sure how much she understood as a two-year-old. It was a good experience and Aria claimed she remembered doing it last year, but I'm not so sure.
This year was a whole different story. We started our Saturday morning at Perkins as a celebration for Aria's completion of our church's obedience challenge. (I should write about that, too.) With full tummies we headed to the dollar store to pick out our supplies. This year we decided to each fill a box. Aria and I chose the 2-4 year old girl category and Justin chose a 2-4 year old boy.
Before we started our shopping, we talked to Aria about a couple of things. First we told her we were only shopping for our shoe boxes that day, not for ourselves. Next, we told her we needed to pick things that would fit inside the box. We also talked about choosing more than toys and selecting things like toothbrushes, washcloths, and socks. We encouraged Aria to choose things that she likes because the present would be going to a little girl her age who doesn't get any presents.
I could tell she really felt compassion for the kids we were building shoe boxes for and she did a fabulous job picking things out. She chose a baby doll, a package of pretend jewelry, markers, crayons, a book about baby Jesus, fingernail polish, stickers, bubbles, a ball, Hello Kitty toothpaste, and a few more things. All of those things are very much her favorites. She also wanted to help us pick things for our box. She really got into it. She didn't like it when the person checking us out mixed up the items that were supposed to go in each box. So, when we got home we had to immediately sort and pack our boxes with the correct items. She didn't even want to play with the things once we brought them home and never once asked for anything for herself.
The last piece of our boxes were handwritten notes to the kids. I wrote the note for Aria, but she told me what she wanted to say. She talked about things she likes and told the girl that Jesus loves her. It was a very sweet letter. We also included a picture of Aria and a map that shows where we live.
On our church's monthly family night we brought our boxes to turn in. She carried her own box in and added it to the pile. I love Aria's heart because she asked if we could deliver the box to the girl ourselves. I explained that we would drop them off at church and they would have them delivered for us because they are going far away. We filled out the form online to track our boxes and I am excited to find out where they went and learn a little more about that country. Hopefully that will help Aria remember the experience even more.
I hope this can just be a start to helping Aria and Justin and I to care for people all over the world and love them like Jesus does.
No comments:
Post a Comment