3.18.2014

The Best Trip EVER!

I am exhausted.  I have laundry piles.  I have no idea what we will eat tomorrow for supper or lunch or breakfast.  I should go to sleep.

But, my heart is full.  And I must capture this moment while it is right in the front of my head.

I feel like I just returned from the most amazing spiritual retreat ever.  I have a renewed confidence, a deeper faith, and a serene, peaceful attitude.  I have a little bit more knowledge about how deeply God loves me.

About 7 years ago, God formed a small Bible study group of 4 couples, married about 2 years, all within a couple years age of each other.  It was a call from our church to do a 6 week study on a topic I don't even remember.  These couples were a part of an ABF class at church together and knew each other a little bit.

Our first meeting was on August 31, 2006.  I know the exact date because it was the day after my 25th birthday and Erin, the host of the evening, made cupcakes to honor the occasion.  I didn't even know she knew it was my birthday.  I probably didn't even consider her my "friend" but more like an acquaintance.

That has definitely changed.

Over the years, another couple joined the group and then one had to step away and yet another one joined.  We continued to meet on a weekly basis, studying God's Word, sharing our triumphs and struggles, and eating a lot of yummy food.  We met as couples at first, then added kids so we met as families.  We also started a separate "girl time" for the 6 women.  We experienced all aspects of life together.

We formed a bond, deeper than any friendship I have ever experienced, built solely on our love for God.  And that is what makes this group so special.

Beginning in 2011, one family moved back to their Texas home in May and another, again back to their Texas home in October.  In May of 2012, the third family left the state to move closer to family in Minnesota.  And finally, in August, the last of the moves for a family to a different community in Iowa.  What was once a core weekly group was now spread out all over the country.

I felt the need to spell this all out as I reflect upon our recent trip.  The roots of the group are so key.

Today we returned home from a 5 day retreat with 5 families in a 6 bedroom, 6 bathroom house.  We had 10 adults and 8 kids, aged 5 and under.  We had not all been together for almost 2 years.  Children have been added to families in those 2 years.  Jobs have changed.  People have moved.  Life has gone on.  New friendships have been formed.

But this friendship has remained the same.  I was ecstatic to see friends that hold such a special, special place in my heart after so long, yet it felt like they never left.  Our conversations, our level of trust, the way we used to live life when we all lived in the same town, was just the same.  And our kids played with each other.  And our kids played with the other adults.  We laughed.  We cried.  We visited some caves.  And we ate lots of yummy food.

As I said in the beginning, I feel as though I was at the most amazing spiritual retreat, ever.  Yet it was not technically a spiritual retreat.  But my friends, the best friends I've ever had, spoke God's truth into my life and strengthened my faith, just as they did for all those years we met every week.  And it's not like we did Bible studies the whole time.  Or at all.  But they showed me who God is by the way they listened, the way they parent their kids, the way they strive every day to live their lives according to God's purpose for them.

I am a constant work in progress at being confident in who God made me.  I struggle with comparing myself to others and wondering if I am good enough.  I am good at putting up a guard and not letting people all the way in.  But I don't have those problems with this group.  They are real and they let me be real without judgment.  It is absolutely wonderful.

For a long time I have mourned all of my friends moving away.  But as we got together this weekend, I realized something significant.  Back in 2006 when God brought our group together, He knew it would not last forever.  He knew people would move away.  Yet He knit our lives together and formed a bond as strong and as deep as Him.  I think God formed this bond between us so that it would stand the test of time, distance, and change.  God made these friendships so special because he knew they would have to be in order for us to maintain them.

I am so thankful for the time we spent as a small group and the bond that we formed.  I am thankful that we are still committed to spending time with each other, so much so that people took off work, drove thousands of miles, dealt with whiny kids and sleep deprivation, and paid hundreds of dollars to spend quality time together.

This was the best trip ever, not because of anything we did, but because of the time we got to spend together.  I think it was God's way of giving us a glimpse at eternity.  Beautiful fellowship with people who love God.  Oh how He loves us all!

My people, thank you.  I love you.  I can't wait until we do it again.  You filled up my heart and helped me remember who God made me.

  

1 comment:

Erin said...

Love you, Julie! Beautiful reflection. :)