3.31.2014

Theology at Bedtime

During the last two times I've been in charge of the bedtime routine in our house, I've been asked the following questions:

What if I die first and have to go to Heaven by myself?
Where will we sleep in Heaven?
What will we eat in Heaven?
How do you get to Hell with Judas? Do you have to climb a hill?

I'm really glad she is thinking and asking questions, but I have to wonder if she knows she can pull these out a bedtime to prolong her evening.

I don't care.  I want to have the conversations and help her understand as best I can.  The most interesting thing is that she doesn't want surface answers.  For example, with the Judas question, I told her that people who don't love Jesus and don't ask Him to live in their heart go to Hell.  She responded with, "Yeah, but how do they get there?"

I don't know how to explain that.  I don't know if I even know an answer for myself.  Nor, in that case, do I want to find out.

I stumbled around something about your soul, which she has no idea about, and eventually finished with 'when you die, if you believe in Jesus and have asked Him to be your Savior, then you go to Heaven.  If you don't believe, you go to Hell.'

It is just crazy to me that my four-year-old thinks about things like this.  I know it has a lot to do with how much time we spend reading Bible stories and talking about them, but it is still refreshing to have evidence that she is listening and that God is working in her heart.

And I've also discovered that it is fun to talk about Heaven with my four-year-old because we can talk about things that make us really happy like eating mac and cheese every day.  I don't often dream like that.  I need more happy in my life and there usually isn't anyone better to bring it than my awesome little girl (and her Daddy, too).

No comments: