7.20.2014

A Tribute to Augie

Augie would have turned 10 years old today.  For the past several years, on July 20, we have taken Augie to her favorite spot, the creek at Thomas park, for a special birthday swim.  Today, instead of a special birthday swim, we spread Augie's ashes in the creek she loved and in our hearts released her spirit to flow free.

I posted about a month ago about Augie's laryngeal paralysis condition.  Last Saturday, Augie had a breathing attack that she just could not recover from.  We had been gone for four days and returned home Saturday evening.  Even though Augie got her sedation medicine, her excitement to see us after a long time was too great.  She instantly could not breathe.  We did our best to help her calm down and cool down.  She eventually settled into a pattern of labored/rough breathing in which we thought she would eventually come out of.  But after almost 3 hours, we knew she just wasn't going to be able to breathe normally on her own.  She also was not responding to us and her eyes were glazed over.  I took her to the emergency vet.  They immediately sedated her, put a tube in her throat and began helping her breathe.  Unfortunately, at that point, we had a difficult decision to make.  We could have allowed the vet to continue breathing for her through the night and allowed them to run tests to see if she suffered damage in her organs from her lack of oxygen.  But we just knew that Augie was no longer there.  We knew that even if she could possibly breathe on her own again, she wasn't going to be the same dog.  And, the biggest weight was we knew the breathing paralysis would happen again and probably with less stimulation and greater consequences.

It was devastating to see Augie suffer.  Not only was it hard to see her on the table, not able to breathe on her own, but it had been traumatic and devastating to see her condition deteriorate over the past three months.  Sadly, we knew it was in Augie's best interest for us to let her go.  I promised Augie, once we learned she was sick, that I would do my best to take care of her the best I could and I would be right by her side until the end.  So, in one of the hardest things I've ever done, I said good-bye to my loving dog, and stood by her side petting her as the vet ended her life.  She was sedated and went very peacefully.  It was excruciating.

They told us it would take 7 to 10 days to get her remains back, but it was absolutely fitting that they called us today, on her 10th birthday, to say we could pick her up.  The people at the emergency vet were amazing.  They understood how special Augie was to us and cared for us greatly.  We got her paw print in model magic with her name stamped next to it and a nice card from the staff.

So today we went to the creek and released our dog who loved to swim there so much.  It truly was one of her most favorite places.  In fact, she knew it by name.  We could say, "do you want to go to Thomas" and she would burst with excitement.  And it was good closure for us.  It felt completely right.  We remembered all the great things about Augie.

How we got her as a 6 week old, 6 pound puppy.  How she slept in our bed with us for a good number of years.  How she loved to play with her best buddy CJ.  How she was truly like a first child for us and comforted us when nothing else could during our infertility struggles.

How she loved to go to school with me on the weekends when I needed to do extra work and run and play in the fields outside.  How she loved Petco, grandma and grandpa's house, parks, walks, runs, and any ride in the car.  How she was incredibly smart and had a variety of tricks and a vast vocabulary of understanding.

How she immediately embraced Aria as one of her people, too.  How she endured ear pulls, little hands in her mouth, her food taken away, dress up, crazy games, and a small child laying on top of her. She even knew Aria's language when Aria's words were not recognizable to anyone but us.  And A-gee was Aria's third word.

How she met us at the door the minute we got home and brought a ball to play.  How she welcomed everyone to our house and expected them to play, too.  How she followed me to every room, just to be near me.  How she would sit real close and lick your face when you were sad.  How she would paw at you very gently when she wanted something.  How she laid right under the table waiting for whatever food may drop.

Augie was a very special part of our family and it has been a miserable week learning how to live without her.  We take comfort knowing she is no longer suffering.  We have great joy in knowing we got 10 years of wonderful memories with her.  But our house is so quiet and empty.  And anytime I was ever sad, Augie always could make me feel better.  I knew she loved me and was never, ever mad at me, so who can provide her comfort now that she is gone?

From a dog, I learned the greatest lessons in loyalty, unconditional love, and faithfulness.  I learned patience, compassion, and how to be in charge.  I craved exercise, play time, and a release from whatever life gave me.  I know without a doubt that on July 20, 2004, God brought Augie Maya Pegump into the world to bring the Pegump family and their friends great joy.  On September 1, 2004 we brought our cute little puppy home without a clue that she would be so special.  Augie truly was the best dog.  My life is better because she was in it.  I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

We love you, Augie.  We will never, ever forget you.

















No comments: