7.30.2010

Books

I love to read! I am pretty sure I have loved to read since I was able to do so and probably before. Sure, there were times in my life when reading was not a big priority, but I've always come back to it. Now I like to read all types of books. I read fantasy, mystery, non-fiction, the Bible, children's books, etc. I haven't always liked all genres. In fact, my mom likes to remind me that I would not read fantasy when I was younger because I didn't like things that could not possibly happen. I truly don't know what was wrong with me then! Fantasy is probably my favorite now. I am the type that waited in line at midnight for most of the Harry Potter books and I even did so for Breaking Dawn of the Twilight series. I love the thrill of a new book in a series. I am also the type that cannot put a book down, although I have had to learn to do so with a little one depending on me now. When Harry Potter 7 came out, I had to sit up straight in the middle of my bed at 4:30 am to keep reading. Justin woke up and told me to go to bed. The book would still be there in the morning. But I just can't put it down. I have to know what happens next! In fact, sometimes I skip ahead just to see what happens and then go back and read it word for word. I know...I am pathetic.

Which brings me to my point. When you are watching a television program, I understand creating suspense for the next episode; causing the viewer to tune in next week. But why do authors do that with chapters in a book? It drives me nuts when an author creates a big cliff hanger at the end of a chapter. Then I have to turn the page, start the new chapter just to see what happens. Chapter breaks should happen at points where you can take a rest from the story, not at suspenseful parts. It's not like "tune in next week". The reader can just turn the page and keep reading. It's not like an author gets more money for how fast a person reads the book. I would really like good stopping points at chapter breaks! That way when I say I must stop at the next chapter, I won't keep going without realizing a chapter has occurred because of the suspense. I have learned I can just stop in the middle of a chapter, but I always lose my place that way and I am such a perfectionist I think I must stop at a chapter.

So authors out there...please make chapter breaks a good place to stop! :)

No comments: