9.16.2010

Love

1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protexts, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

These verses were read in our wedding and we have a shortened version hanging on the wall in our living room. I've always thought of them as the wedding verses. But today I came to a whole new realization. The Bible study I recently started challenged me to find 3 verses about love (and also forgiveness, but I am focusing on love now). Of course 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a is the first one I wrote down because it is one of my favorites, aside from the fact that it is about love.

As I was reading it and writing it down it really dawned on me that Paul was not just referring to love in a marriage. In fact the context has nothing to do with marriage, so why do I only associate this message with a marriage? These words cover ALL love, including loving your neighbor whom you may not like very much.

While I work really hard to follow those guidelines in my marriage, with my daughter, with my parents and friends, I don't always do so hot with those that challenge me. The part that strikes me the most is, "it keeps no record of wrongs." I definitely need to work on that part. Needless to say it was a valuable Bible study for me, today. Thank you, God, for showing me what I need to work on through one of my favorite verses and for instructing me how to LOVE through Paul's letter to the Corinthians!