5.25.2011

Heaven is For Real

Heaven is For Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back is a true story by Todd Burpo about his son Colton who experienced Heaven while on an operating table battling for his life at the age of 4.  I first learned of this story in an email from my dad a few weeks back.  Then, the story kept popping up in other parts of my life, at MOPS, on the radio, on tv, and other various places.  I was intrigued and had to find out more.  Wow!  What a story!  I definitely believe that Heaven is for real, but this little boy's descriptions make me excited to experience it.  Some things that stood out to me in this story:
  • Colton described many things that are backed up by Scripture, that he had not previously learned.
  • He explained things that are well beyond a four year old.
  • He became really upset when he learned of people who died who had not accepted Christ.
  • Colton said numerous, numerous time that Jesus loves the children.
  • He talked about the beauty of Jesus' eyes.
  • Colton described the colors in heaven like a rainbow.
  • He talked about family members he met in Heaven whom he had never met or known about on Earth.
  • This family loves Jesus and make it their mission to share His love with others.
I could say a lot more about the book, but I truly think everyone should read it.  Of course there is much scrutiny out there that these people are making it up.  After reading it I truly don't think so.  I might be naive or too trusting of people, but here is my logic.  I think God is beyond anything we can imagine and He works in ways beyond anything we can imagine.  And if He chose to use Colton Burpo in that way to tell this story and spread his Kingdom, then so be it.  It would be really unfortunate if it was just a scam for money, but at the same time I know people have done some thinking and soul searching because of this book.  And if people have trusted Christ because of it, then that is the ultimate goal. 

It was a quick read for me...two nights in the recliner.  And, my non-reading husband is now reading and enjoying the story, too.  Find it.  Read it.  And marvel in the Kingdom of Heaven that you get to join one day!

No comments: