5.26.2011

Wal Mart or Hy Vee?

Recently I've become very particular about my grocery shopping.  I spend time collecting coupons, reading ads, and searching for deals.  I used to just go to Hy Vee because it was the closest, easiest, and in my opinion, the best quality.  However, I was pretty sure it wasn't the cheapest.  In fact, I did some market research and took my Hy Vee receipt to Wal Mart and compared prices.  On that particular visit I could have saved $7 buying the same items at Wal Mart.  Not everything is cheaper at Wal Mart.  Take cream of mushroom soup, for example.  It is $1.08 at Wal Mart and $0.68 at Hy Vee.  But, for the most part, I can buy groceries cheaper at Wal Mart. 

But I don't like Wal Mart.  In my opinion, it lacks on the quality and cleanliness side compared to Hy Vee.  And, maybe I'll get used to it, but I can't find things at Wal Mart as easily as Hy Vee.  I've been shopping at Hy Vee for several years, so I know it really well, but it just seems to be laid out better.  Another problem I have at Wal Mart is the other stuff.  Of course the groceries are cheaper, but how much cheaper is it when I always seem to buy things like a really cute flag swimsuit for Aria when we go to Wal Mart?  I can't get that at Hy Vee.  Granted, she did need a swimsuit for the summer, it was only $5, and she LOVES flags, but still.  (Insert cute picture here if I knew how to upload it from my phone without a cord.)

Reluctantly, I do know that my grocery bill will be cheaper if I just stick to the groceries at Wal Mart.  But we do still go to Hy Vee for the Hot Deals because they really are Hot Deals.  I got ketchup for $0.49 for crying out loud!  And, Hy Vee does have the cool race car carts that make going to the grocery store way more fun for a 16 month old!

No comments: