10.05.2011

That Pain in my Hip

I've had a lingering pain in my hip for quite awhile now.  I had it before I was pregnant with Aria, it became very magnified during pregnancy, and has since settled down.  However, I've come to realize it flares up with inactivity.  As long as I am exercising regularly, I don't have much of a problem.  But if I get lazy, boy does it hurt.  It hurts so bad I can't ever get comfortable.  It is difficult to sleep on that side.  It is difficult to sleep on the other side.  It just plain aches.  So, I guess you could say I've got a very vivid reminder to work out on a consistent basis.  It is nice because exercise is important.  It has many benefits besides calming the pain in my hip.

But today, as I was walking on the treadmill, I got to thinking.  What is my reminder to read the Bible and spend time with God daily?  You see, I'm very conditioned.  As I lay in bed feeling like there is a knife in my hip, I immediately make a plan to exercise the next day.  I count how long it has been and become irritated with myself that I've slipped.  But I can't figure out what pain has conditioned me to spend more time with God.  Don't get me wrong, my heart and soul hurt plenty.  I'm sure God has sent me countless messages that should make me immediately spend time with him.  But for some reason, I don't.  I wallow around in my misery for several days until I realize what I need.  I wish my response was more immediate, like it is with my hip.  It certainly isn't because the pain is less in my heart and soul.  Most of the time it is worse.  I can take physical pain pretty well.  Emotional pain is a different story.  At least there is one similarity.  When I realize why I'm in emotional pain, I become irritated with myself that I've slipped.  And, when I spend time with God, I certainly feel much better.  Exercising away the pain in my hip is a gradual process.  But, 'exercising' with God is instant relief

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.  Psalm 28:7

No comments: