8.18.2010

Aria and Books

Aria truly does amaze me almost every day with new talents and the things she learns. If you really think about it, a baby has to learn everything. We take so many things for granted in life....like eating with a spoon, going to the bathroom, drinking from a cup, knowing the sky is blue and the grass is green. But a baby doesn't know any of that until she learns from her parents.

One of the things I have been most amazed with lately is her ability to understand books. I mean, come on, she is 6.5 months old...she doesn't understand books, right? Wrong! I don't know if what she is doing is age appropriate or if she is an all star, but I am her mom so I get to think she is an all star!

Aria loves to turn the pages when we read books. Granted, I start it for her just a little bit by not holding on to the page anymore. However, if she gets excited and closes the whole book, she has a look like, "Hey, what happened to the story?" Sometimes she even waits for me to finish reading the page before she tries to turn it, which absolutely astounds me! The video below is not her best book turning skills (I think she's kinda camera shy), but it shows what she can do nonetheless.

What is even more amazing to me is that Aria understands left to right. She never wants to turn the pages backwards and I see her head look at the left page first, then the right.

In the books that are touch and feel, Aria knows right where to feel the different textures and has a preference for long, soft fur. We have a book that has flaps to lift up on each page that I haven't read to her for awhile. A day or two ago we read the book and after the first couple pages she was lifting the flap, closing it, then turning to the next page. I am just amazed at how fast she picks it up!

My favorite (and I'm pretty sure she loves it too) is Mr. Brown Can Moo Can You? This book has awesome different noises and is so fun to read! Aria has started to mimic some of the noises like the owl..hoo hoo and a hand on a door...(I'm not sure how to type this noise, but it is clicking your tongue). She loves the thunder and lightning page and always gives a big grin for the moooo. I just love to see her recognize all the different pages in the book. Really, any book with fun animal or other noises are ones she really likes. So, if you have any suggestions, please pass them along!

I absolutely love to read so seeing my daughter with an interest in books delights me! I hope it continues and I can't wait to watch her amaze me even more!

No comments: