On Friday, January 29, 2010, Justin and I left our house around 6:30 am in the freezing cold under the light of a full moon to head to the hospital for Aria's arrival. Our induction was scheduled for 7:00 am, but the doctor showed up around 8:00 to break my water. For the morning and early afternoon the day was pretty uneventful with contractions about 7 minutes apart. Around the 3:00 pm shift change the contractions were about 5 minutes apart and were getting pretty painful in my back. The doctor decided to use some drugs to speed up the process a bit and I opted for the epidural. I actually got the epidural twice because the first one hit a vein...how fun. Then I was in lala land for a couple of hours, not feeling a thing. Around 6:00 pm the nurse checked to see how I was progressing and said, "hello head!" I hadn't felt any pressure or anything so I was surprised. The doctor decided to let me go awhile longer since I wasn't feeling like I should push. About 6:45 the nurse thought I should start to push. At first I honestly thought it was fun! I knew it meant my daughter would be here soon! The doctor came in after a few pushes and decided he had time to eat supper before Aria came out. I didn't think it was extremely painful until a little after 8:00. At that point I was ready to get on with it. We had a fabulous nursing student whose shift actually ended at 7:00, but she asked if she could stay for the birth and we were glad to let her. She was awesome in helping me count through the pushing and do what I needed to do. I don't remember when the doctor joined us for good, but I do remember that he wasn't there and the nurse wouldn't let me push for fear of Aria coming without him. That part was the worst! Then, when he did come, he was able to watch the Winter X Games on tv as he was delivering Aria...that made me laugh! Finally, we had reached the point where the doctor told me I needed to push really hard to get her out because it was time. And on the very next push, at 8:43 pm, out came my Aria!
The next several hours, well the entire year really, has been a whirlwind! I'm not sure there is a word to describe the emotions after having a child. I was on cloud 9, filled with excitement, love, happiness, and joy. I was also anxious and nervous about, "will I be a good mom?" And, I was having a hard time getting rid of all the meds in my body without any food in it! Once things calmed down, visitors came and went (yes in the middle of the night) and the first bath was over with, we got to sleep. Boy was I exhausted! But it was so hard to sleep thinking about that precious little girl I finally got to hold in my arms. I dreamed and prayed and cried and hoped for my very own child for years and she was finally here!
And now....
She is one year old! I can't believe it and yet I can. I remember the day of her birth like it was yesterday, but it also seems so far away! She has obviously grown and changed so much in just one year. I look at pictures from those first few days and I don't even think it looks like her. The first year brings so much learning for both child and parents. I gave my mom a little knick knack thing that says, "With the birth of a child, a grandmother is born." I think that is so true, not just with a grandmother, though. A new life is added to the world when a baby is born, but it also brings new life to the parents. My life was not complete without Aria. I don't know how I lived without her. She has made me a whole new (and I think better) person. God has used her to teach me so many things. The biggest one is that she came into this world completely defenseless, not able to do anything for herself. She immediately trusted me to give her everything she needs. She can now do many things herself, but still completely trusts me to provide for her and to show her the way. God does the same thing for all of his children. We are completely defenseless, wandering blind in this world without Him. But, if we put our trust completely on him, he will give us everything we need!
This year has been amazing, overwhelming, joyous, tiring, educational, happy, and life changing! I am so thankful for my now one-year-old little girl! It was fun to celebrate her birthday and thank God for everything that she has brought us. I am so excited for what he has in store for her second year!
No comments:
Post a Comment