4.03.2011

Say Please

If you have been around my daughter for more than about 10 minutes, you've probably seen her do this:



A friend of mine taught her son some sign language at a young age to help him communicate.  One of my memories of it was him pointing to the swing in their backyard signing please.  I thought it was incredibly cute and irresistible.  Several months ago Aria started to become very demanding when she wanted something, so instead of screaming, I taught her to sign "please".  She caught on very quickly and now signs please constantly.  She knows she is supposed to say please when she wants something, but it is quite difficult to explain that even though she said please, sometimes the answer is still no.  I guess it isn't quite as irresistible as I thought.  :)  It is also hard to know what she wants a lot of the time.  She will just sign please over and over and over and over and over without really saying anything or pointing to anything so I have no idea what she wants, which is frustrating.  I'm hoping the sign language will eventually lead to actually speaking the word please and understanding it is the polite thing to do.  Right now, I'm pretty sure her please sign just means 'I want' to her.  But, I'm okay with that because it is much better than an ear-piercing scream when she wants something!  So, if you are ever caring for my child and she is frantically brushing her hand on her chest, she definitely wants something....good luck figuring out what it is!  :)

No comments: