It was yet another Saturday where I didn't really want to see the things written on Facebook. Of course I have the option to not look at Facebook at all, so I really shouldn't complain. But I'm going to.
You see, our favorite college football team is not doing so well this year. They have lost several games they probably should have won and just don't seem to be the same quality team we are used to around here. However, I don't think that allows for anyone to put such rude and vulgar comments out there about the team. I have no connection to anyone on the team; they are just my favorite. But did you know those players and coaches are somebody's sons, brothers, husbands, and fathers? Do you think they are trying to lose? Would they come critique you in your job or schooling? Are you so perfect that you never have a bad day or season?
I know the players and coaches choose to be a part of the team and therefore the limelight that comes with it, but I still find it disgusting how people react to something that is just for entertainment. It's not just fans of our favorite team. It is generally fans for any team, anywhere. I've seen disgusting fans at middle school games, watching professional sports, and everywhere in between. Why can't people just be a fan. Is it possible to just cheer for your team? Why must fans critique every part of the game? You aren't the coach. You aren't the player. You aren't the official. You aren't at practice. You aren't on the field during the game. You don't know what it is really like and you aren't qualified to make the decisions for the team. Just cheer for your team. Support them when they win. Support them when they lose. It's okay to be disappointed, but it is not okay to bash coaches and players. It is okay to respectfully state your opinion. It's not okay to make disgusting comments that are ridiculous and immature.
I'm a sports fan, a big sports fan. I get caught up in the moment and I desperately root for my teams sometimes. But when it really comes down to it, it is just a game. I know you could argue that the professional sports are jobs for those men and women, but even so, it is not a matter of life or death. Is your life really going to be better or worse if your team has a championship season or an 0 for season? I love those commercials by the NCAA that point out that most collegiate athletes go pro in something else. These are people. They have lives and dreams and families outside of their sport. I think they should be treated as such.
So, just be a fan. Support your team. You don't get to pick the coach, the starting line-up, or the schedule. If you are going to be a fan, support your team in a positive manner and be a good citizen in your community. They don't need your negative feedback or tough love. They need people who will show up to the games and cheer them on no matter the circumstances.
Rant over.
No comments:
Post a Comment