11.29.2012

The Reason for the Season

Today Aria and I went shopping at Menards for Christmas ornaments.  Yes, Menards has some really cool ornaments, at a good price, too!  We were browsing the ornaments when a grandma-looking woman entered the aisle.  I don't remember how Aria struck up the conversation, but she said something to the woman and the woman answered her.  Then, the woman asked my most dreaded question..."what do you want Santa to bring you for Christmas?"  Last year I wrote this blog post describing my lack of interest in Santa.  If you really want to read all about it you can.  If not, I'll just say I don't like the idea of kids believing Santa comes to every house and brings presents and having that be the focus of Christmas. 

Back to my Menards story.  So, as has happened several times already when people ask Aria about Santa, she had no idea what to say.  She doesn't even really know who Santa is and I'm glad she doesn't.  But we don't want to be rude to the wonderful grandma-like people who engage Aria in conversation.  When Aria didn't answer, the lady asked, "what would you like for Christmas?"  Aria's response was a shy, "I don't know."  I prompted her a little (and was a little curious myself) and asked her what present she would like.  This was her response...

"I don't know, but I have this cool toy that we just got out to play with again.  It is a baby Jesus nativity set!"

Way to go, Aria!!  The lady's response was great, too.  She said that was definitely the best kind of toy to have.  While Aria wasn't really trying to witness to the woman, she did in her own little way.  And it made my heart glad that Aria's focus for Christmas is Jesus.  We've spent a lot of time reading the story of Jesus' birth.  It is one of Aria's favorite Bible stories.  She knows the story very well.  We haven't started focusing on it yet this Christmas season.  I have some activities planned to start December 1.  But today I learned she definitely knows that Christmas is when we celebrate Jesus' birth.  The lady was talking about Christmas and her mind drifted to the Little People nativity set we got out last week. 

In all of my shopping, planning, and stress I hope my mind drifts to Jesus and the nativity set just like my daughter.  Once again she is teaching me more than I ever thought possible.

No comments: