12.08.2012

More Truth in the Tinsel

I wrote about the first day of Truth in the Tinsel in its own post.  I would like to give myself a brief update of each day so I can have some notes to use it again in the future.  So here are the next few days...

Day 1 was Jesus is the Light of the World.  I used John 8:12 because it was easier for Aria to understand than the really long Scripture suggested in the book.

Day 2: Jesus is King!  The Scripture is Isaiah 9:2-7.  The craft was a crown for Jesus made out of a toilet paper roll.  The book suggested painting the roll, but we had just painted a different project and I didn't feel like getting it out again, so we used an idea I found on a different website and used double-sided tape and glitter and shook it up inside a ziploc bag.  Aria also glued some "jewels" to the crown.  It was definitely fit for a king!



This was her "I don't want to smile with my crown" face.

Day 3: Zachariah.  The Scripture is Luke 1:5-25.  Aria knows this story well and also makes the connection to Abraham and Sarah...two old couples who weren't expecting to have babies.  She really liked being goofy and trying to talk with our mouths shut.  The craft was a Zachariah face with a balloon for the mouth that was tied shut so he couldn't talk.




Day 4: The angel Gabriel.  Scripture Luke 1:26-38.  For most of these stories I have used Aria's Bible to read them.  They are much more at her level than reading my Bible.  This was the first craft I didn't like.  It is a really cool, beautiful angel, but Aria couldn't do any of the craft.  So, I improvised and let her cover the angel in glitter.  The angel is a jingle bell for a head, pipe cleaner for wings, and wrapping paper for a body. 




Day 5: Mary.  Scripture Luke 1:26-38, same as day 4.  Again, Aria knows who Mary is and the story of the angel coming to tell her she would be pregnant.  The craft is Mary made out of a clothespin, decorated with felt, glitter glue, and sequins.



Day 6: Mary and Elizabeth.  Scripture Luke 1:39-45.  I had to use my Bible for this one.  Aria's Bible talks about Mary and Elizabeth, but not how Mary went to visit Elizabeth once she was pregnant and how Elizabeth's baby leaped for joy when Mary arrived.  We liked talking about babies and looking at Aria's ultrasound pictures and pictures of my big belly with her inside.  The craft was two paper dolls for the two women.  Aria painted them first.  Then we glued a cardboard dot on their bellies and then then pregnant ball to represent the babies.  I didn't get any painting pictures because I didn't want paint everywhere while I went to get the camera.  :)

 
 
We are having fun with our "Jesus crafts."  Aria asks about them every morning.  I can already tell I will change a few things for the future and maybe try to make more time to plan what we do this year instead of just following the book.  I like it, but I think we could do more and things just a bit different to fit Aria better.  The good thing is she remembers the lessons and can tell us what each craft is for.
 

No comments: