4.12.2013

LLLLLLLLLL

For her entire speaking life, Aria has pronounced the "L" sound as a "W" sound.  It is pretty adorable.  However, the worrisome mom in me started fretting about her needing speech therapy or something.  So, I tried to teach her how to say the "L" sound.  My effort to teach her involved having her stick her tongue completely out of her mouth to say it.  It was rather humorous for awhile, seeing her with her tongue out trying to say "L".  But now she is getting the hang of it.  So much so that she over corrects sometimes. 

Where "yellow" was once ye-yo, it is now lell-low.

In a music class song we sing "farewell" and it has become fare-lell.

She also over emphasizes the "L" most of the time when she says it, like today when she asked, "what are we having for lllllllllllunch.

It is equally as adorable to watch her try to figure out which words have "L" and which ones are really a "W" and I have realized how foolish I was to worry about her ability to say the "L" sound.  Every time she says an "L" word I think about how she is growing up.  I'm not sad about her growing up, too much, but it is an interesting emotion when I think about how she used to do or say something. 

Aria is very interested in "how did I say _________ when I was a baby?"  She gets a kick out of words that were really different than how she says them now.  It is just weird for me because I feel like it was decades ago that she was just learning how to talk and yet I wonder how she has grown up so fast.  I'm sure it will only compound as the years go by. 

This being a mom thing, it just keeps getting more awesome!

No comments: