2.22.2014

Aria at 4

She's been 4 for almost a month now, but here are some details of what our girl is like these days.

She is square.  Ha!  She is 40.5 inches tall and she weighs about 40.5 pounds.  I'm not really sure how she got so big.  She can reach things all over the house that just make her seem like a regular person instead of a little girl.  I do know that as much as she eats sometimes, it is no wonder she is growing so fast.  She wears approximately a size 5 in her clothing.  I say approximately because clothing sizes are so weird.  And she is starting to grow out of her size 10 shoes.

Some of her favorite things have not changed like mac and cheese and cats and music.  Yet others are constantly changing.  The other day she told me red was no longer one of her favorite colors, she just likes it.  Her favorites are pink and purple.....and blue....and green.  I don't think she can really pick one.  Other than pink and purple.  Those stay at the top.

Much to my chagrin, she has developed an interest in princesses.  But she also likes many other characters.  Her birthday party was Minnie and Daisy, but she doesn't really stay fixated on one or two like her previous obsession with Elmo.  She definitely enjoyed the Frozen movie and spends a lot of rest time listening to that book on cd.

Aria has 3 friends that she feels pretty tight with.  They are three girls her same age, in her preschool, and whose parents are our good friends.  I see some of my introvert in her being content with her 3 good friends.  However, she has a tender heart and realizes the importance of family.  When we were quizzing her about what to do for her birthday party, she didn't want to just invite her friends over, she wanted to invite their whole families.  She didn't want to leave out their siblings or their parents.  She was also very thoughtful in planning activities and food to make sure it was a good fit for all the kids.

Recently I did a post about her learning to read.  She is continuing to progress and is able to read more and more.  The other day she picked up a book and just read it to herself.  It wasn't even completely out loud.  She was mumbling a lot of it.  It was loud enough that I could hear and know she was sounding out and reading correctly.  It really blew me away.  She gains more confidence the more she can do.  We are still learning, but it is at a great pace for her to feel challenged and accomplished and never frustrated.

I don't know if I can say a favorite Bible story for her anymore.  She picks different ones to read all the time.  She was on an Elijah kick for awhile, but she really hasn't been stuck on one lately.  She has really enjoyed learning memory verses that go with Seeds Family Worship songs.  I like being able to apply what the verses say to our lives.  We definitely have not abandoned the Zaccheus song before rest time and bedtime.  That one is her definite favorite.  Ironically, she rarely wants to listen to it on cd or the ipod.

I wish I took better notes or gathered my thoughts more before writing this post because I know there is so much more I could say.  Watching Aria grow is the highlight of our days.  Recently I went to a parenting class at church and the speaker really hit home how fast kids grow.  Before we know it she will be off on her own.  I love that I get to spend all of my time with her.  I love that my most important job is to be her mom.  I love that my most important mission is helping her grow in her knowledge of God.  One of these days I'm going to be writing about where she is going to college and I know I will wish for a day at home to play dress up and have Barbies talk to each other and dance around the living room.  So, I spend my time enjoying those things now.  Our little four year old is definitely a great big blessing!


No comments: