Dealing with Justin having surgery on vacation hasn't been the only adjustment I've had to make with the whole ordeal. Obviously, people don't just have surgery then get up and be perfectly normal. However, it is just really odd to have Justin not quite himself. He is rarely sick and when he is, it doesn't slow him down much. In the 10+ years we've been together I can only remember him vomiting on three separate occasions, a few colds here and there, his wisdom teeth removed, his varicocele surgery, and now this. That's not much of a resume of sickness. I feel very fortunate that he is so healthy.
But this week, he needs to rest. He is slow moving around. He can't pick up or play with Aria like he is used to. I actually have to take care of him. In my title, I call it role reversal because Justin has very often taken care of me. I suffer from chronic migraines, which are much better now because of my chiropractor, but still afflict me occasionally. I was pregnant and deserved all sorts of pampering. I tend to get a pretty nasty cold/bronchitis/laryngitis once a year that wipes me out. Anyway, my point is that I am probably a bit more of a baby about things than him. Okay a lot more. He does an excellent job of taking care of me when I'm down. He fixes meals. He takes care of Aria. He gives me massages.
However, I don't know how much of a role reversal it is. My husband is a busy body and doesn't sit still much. He can't stand not having something to do. He was beyond frustrated with just laying around on Sunday, two days after his surgery. I have had to remind him to be careful and slow down a few times. The only things I've really had to get used to are him being home during the day and I have to pick Aria up every time she needs it. We usually take turns putting her to bed, but I need to lift her in and out of the crib. Today, it was nice out and Aria wanted to swing. I had to lift her in and out. At mealtime, I have to help Aria in and out of her booster seat. I know what you are all thinking, big whoop-ti-do, right? Exactly right! I am so thankful my husband has a high tolerance for pain. I am so thankful that he doesn't like to be waited on. I am so thankful that he always wants to be helpful. I appreciate the strong, task-oriented, hard-working, caring, loving, and wonderful man God made him!
No comments:
Post a Comment