10.27.2012

Politics

I'm kind of an oxymoron when it comes to politics.  I used to teach American history from the build up to the Revolutionary War to the aftermath of the Civil War.  I absolutely loved it!  I love the history, the wars, the politics, the shaping of our country, the development of our government.  Oh so interesting!!

Politics now...yuck!

Don't get me wrong, I am still very interested in government and how our country works.  I just can't stand the advertising, the bashing of the other candidate, the doorbell ringing during naptime, the signs in yards, the junk mail, the pressure to vote a certain way because of such and such affiliation, the commercials, the fake make everyone happy answers, the taking things out of context, and did I mention the advertising?!?!!

I am so happy to be an American where I have the right to vote, especially as a woman, and I want to fulfill my civic duty.  But quite honestly, I don't really want to vote for either presidential candidate.  And there are a lot of other races where neither one really trips my trigger.  I've been trying to educate myself so I can choose the candidates that are similar to my beliefs, values, faith, etc, but a lot of what I read just confuses me more.  It's not because of the advertising or the snippets taken out of context.  My pastor recommended a couple websites that are pretty good at just giving information about where the candidates stand.  The problem is, the candidates answer the hot topic questions so carefully they don't really pick a side.  Take the sanctity of marriage, for example, I've read several opinions from opposing candidates that are so similar.  Basically, they don't want to pick a side because they don't want to lose any voters.  So who am I supposed to pick?

I think my biggest conflict is I'm mostly a stereotypical Republican when it comes to faith and values and the "more conservative" point of view, but the next passion in my heart is teaching and education and most of the time the Democrats are the way to go for education.  I'm having a hard time picking one issue and voting just on that issue. 

I think it is easy this election season to say the last four years haven't been stellar and change is needed.  But is it all really President Obama's fault?  And is Mr. Romney really the solution?  I also struggle with knowing as a Christ follower, the recommended choice is Romney, but he is NOT a Christ follower.  President Obama's religion is listed as Christian, but I guess I don't really know if he's a Christ follower, either.  Believe me, there is a difference.

I know there is a lot that goes into being President of the United States of America, but I really wish I could vote for a candidate that would promise to follow Jesus with all of his/her heart.  That loving others, serving others, giving up yourself, and proclaiming the great news of the Gospel would be this candidate's primary mission.  Wouldn't that take care of a lot of things?  When I think about the problems in our country, a lot of times I think it boils down to people needing Jesus.  If I could vote for a president who would lead our country the way Jesus led while he was here on earth, it would make my life so much easier.

Until that option is available, I just want all the campaigners out there to know, none of you will persuade my vote with any of your advertisements, naptime visits, or gentle nudgings.  My vote will be decided through prayer and the leading of the Holy Spirit who has way more wisdom than me.

No comments: