10.01.2012

Why

We've entered the "why" phase of childhood.  I'm sure any parent who has a child over the age of 2 knows what I'm talking about.  The repetitive "why" after every statement you make.  I'm not sure if there is an age where it is supposed to begin, but for Aria it began just in the last month or so.  It comes in all forms, "Mommy, why do you have to go potty again?"  "Why are you putting that there?"  "Why is that called a joey?"  Why Why Why Why?????

A lot of times my final answer ends up being, "because God made it that way" or "I don't know, Aria" which is usually followed with, "Why don't you know Mommy?"  Sometimes it is hard to not be annoyed by the constant "whys," especially when she insists on an answer I just don't have.  However, "why" is how she's learning about the world around her.  It is no longer acceptable that a joey exists as a baby kangaroo.  Why does it exist?  Why is it called a joey?  It truly is the best form of learning, when you really think about it.  Examine the world around you.  Find something you don't understand and ask why.  Find someone who knows the answer.  It is a simple process, but one we all do. 

The most convicting part of it all are the "whys" that make me think about why I like something or why I do something a certain way.  Is it really necessary to get dressed before breakfast or can we eat in our pajamas?  Will my life change drastically if I allow pajamas at the breakfast table?  "Why do we have to change my diaper (first thing when I get up in the morning)?"  That one I do have an answer for.  Why do I like green anyway?  Why don't I like pink?  Why do we go to the library or MOPS or Hy Vee or the book store or Goodwill?  Why do we clean our house?  Why can't Aria come to my weekly Bible study/mom time?  Why does Daddy go to work every day?

Her questions really make me think about why I am doing what I am doing.  And more importantly, is this an activity or behavior I want to model to my child?  Is this something I want her to watch/do/say/eat?  Recently I sat in a group of adults and listened to a speaker proclaim the best way to help your child become a reader is not to read to them, but to read yourself.  I thought the preschool teacher in the room was going to go through the roof.  No, the speaker was not saying to stop reading to your child, he was simply stating the value of modeling the behaviors you want your children to do.  It is cliche, but it is so true, "Actions speak louder than words." 

While I will never be able to have all the answers, I want to encourage Aria to keep asking why.  I want to help her learn how to find the answers I don't have and foster the love of learning that she already exhibits.  And personally, I want to keep the conviction coming.  It might give me some insight on why God made me who I am.

No comments: