2.19.2013

Looking Up To Lent

On one of the blogs I read, there was a suggestion for a Lent devotional for kids.  I clicked on it because I'm always interested in what other people do with their kids, especially leading up to such important holidays as Easter.  This particular suggestion was more for school-age kids, but there was another link to "Looking Up to Lent."  It was only $0.99 to get the Kindle version, so I figured it was worth a shot.  I've been pleased with it so far.  It is a short passage from the Bible to read, with another paragraph or two to ponder.  It seems to be right at Aria's attention and understanding level.  There aren't any activities to go with it, but I think it is a great conversation starter.  We've been reading it either when Aria gets up from her nap or right after supper together as a family.  I like that the passages are all over the Bible, as the story of Jesus isn't just in the Gospel.  It is a great way for us to focus a bit more every day on what Christ did for us. 

PS--You don't have to have a Kindle to get a Kindle book.  You can get the Kindle app for your phone or tablet!

In related news, I started my own Lent devotional through You Version.  I chose "Devotions for Lent from Holy Bible: Mosaic Reading Plan."  Again, I like that the passages are all over the Bible and you can see how God's plan was woven throughout history.  I also like when someone who has done a lot more research than me, explains things to me.  I know some things I read are opinion, but at least it gives me something to think about. 

Lent and Easter is such a special time and I don't think we put enough emphasis on it.  I wanted to focus my heart more on my Savior this year and hopefully show my daughter more about what His great sacrifice means for us.

No comments: