2.28.2013

Snow Complaining

The weirdest snowstorm moved through this week, causing snow to fall for three days straight.  The original predictions for the storm were way off and some areas got more than a foot.  Sadly, we were not one of those areas.  It was fun to see the soft, fluffy flurries fall for such a long period of time, though. 

I love snow!  I like winter.  I can't really say exactly why, other than maybe it has to do with basketball season.  I really like living where there is change in seasons and I can appreciate many different types of God's beautiful creation.  I realize not everyone shares my opinion and I know they certainly don't have to like winter like I do.  What I don't understand is all the complaining.

I don't know why I get on Facebook at all on snowy days, or even all winter for that matter.  I get so tired of people commenting and complaining about the winter weather.  You can't control it.  You can't change it.  But you are in charge of your attitude about it.  If it is so bad, why live in this area where winter produces cold and snow?

I realize winter weather causes disruption to many events.  I haven't been immune to that in my life.  In fact, my biggest dream growing up was to play in the state basketball tournament.  During my senior year we finally made it to state, but at least half of our fans didn't make it because of a huge snowstorm the day of our game.  It was disappointing, but we did get snowed in our hotel for an extra day!

This week, as I read countless comments about being "done with snow" or "tired of winter," I began to wonder if these snow days are God's way of telling us to slow down a bit.  The world is so fast paced now.  People go 100 mph all day long, all week long.  Kids are involved in countless activities and parents work, transport kids to events, run errands, and have a social life of their own (sometimes).  I think a snow day every so often that forces us all to stay home from school, stay inside, enjoy family time, catch up on sleep, read a good book, or play with your dog is a good thing.  It is okay to have to reschedule a basketball game or a Christmas party.  Take some time and appreciate the beauty in a clean blanket of snow or the power of a blizzard moving through the area.  Slow down.  Find something positive out of the situation to be thankful for.  You might be surprised to find great joy in the little things.  It isn't always easy, but it is a choice you can make; something you can control on those winter weather days.

No comments: