My Journey to Motherhood
by: Julie Pegump
by: Julie Pegump
Do you have any other children? Is she your only child? Just one?
Isn’t it about time to have another?
No. Yes. Yes.
Uh…no? I bet I can count on one
hand how many Moms in our MOPS group have just one child over the age of
three. But that’s me. It wasn’t my original plan. No, my young, happily married 25-year-old
self thought I should have my first child and over the next five or six years
have two or three more. However, as my
husband has said it, God dealt us a different hand.
We weren’t expecting to get pregnant right away, but after a
year we became more intentional about counting and trying and waiting. Then sobbing.
Then counting, trying, and waiting again. More sobbing.
Then came the doctor appointments that rocked our world. A balanced translocation of the number one
and number ten chromosomes gives a person about a one in eight chance of
becoming pregnant and that is with
the fancy in vitro fertilization procedures.
Getting pregnant naturally, not much of a chance.
In 2008, I learned a lot about human reproduction. My conclusion, a baby is an incredible
miracle. People say that all babies are
miracles, and they truly are, but I wonder how many people think about all the
pieces that have to take place at just the right time. And inside that tiny little egg from the
Mommy are 23 chromosomes, just like there are 23 chromosomes inside that tiny
little sperm from Daddy. Then they join
together and form this crazy ball of tangled up chromosomes that turn into one
cell, then two. Eventually, a heart
forms and a brain and arms, feet, and a cute little nose. Pretty soon you are introducing that tangled
up ball of chromosomes as your new baby.
Then they go to school, graduate, and become mommies and daddies
themselves. What an incredible miracle
from God! God made each and every one of
us from such a small piece of our mom and a small piece of our dad. I still can’t wrap my mind around it.
For most people, that miraculous beginning happens inside
Mommy’s tummy without anyone realizing it.
But for my daughter, it was in a tube at the University of Iowa
hospital. Because of my husband’s
somewhat rare genetic condition, we needed in vitro fertilization with extra
genetic testing in order to get pregnant.
The doctors took my eggs, injected my husband’s sperm, watched the tiny
embryos grow (or in most cases not grow), sent a cell or two off for genetic
testing, and then transferred the one healthy embryo back into my uterus. For us, the one in eight chance was actually
one in 16. We had one failed in vitro
cycle where none of the embryos survived.
In our next cycle the only healthy, surviving embryo became our
daughter.
Our daughter.
Something I wasn’t sure was possible after our situation was explained
to us. Now, I am so very thankful for my
beautiful little girl AND the journey
we took to hold her in our arms. In the
beginning I went through periods of shock and grief. I thought God was punishing me for sins of my
past. I thought I must not be capable of
being a good mom and that was why God was withholding a child from me. Then, I came to the dark conclusion that God
must not exist because He wouldn’t allow me to suffer so much. Yet within my lowest of lows, when I doubted
His existence, God still answered my
prayer.
We finally shared our struggle with our small group; our
dearest friends. They began praying for
us, caring for us and showing us God’s love.
They let our fears and tears take over our small group sessions. They cried with us, they made us food, and
they prayed. They showed me God does
exist and He was right there with us through it all. And, boy did they celebrate with us on the
day we got the call that said, “Yes! You
are pregnant!”
Unfortunately there are some negative thoughts out there
about in vitro. However, everything we
encountered was positive. We didn’t
discard any embryos; we only had one survive.
We didn’t do any kind of selective testing to choose an amazing athlete
or talented musician. We didn’t have the
option to implant multiple embryos and end up with octuplets. The University of Iowa IVF staff was
incredible. They genuinely wanted Justin
and Julie Pegump to have a baby. We
weren’t some number or experiment. God
was very much a part of our journey through IVF. He showed himself through our favorite nurses
and doctors and their compassion. My
husband and I grew closer to each other and closer to God because of all the
lessons we learned during our three year infertility journey.
Every MOPS meeting new pregnancies or new babies are
introduced. It is a happy time for most
of the moms in the room. I’ve heard
people say they hope someone at their table will announce a new pregnancy. For me, I grin and bear it. Of course I am happy for each of the moms who
are adding children to their family. It
is what is right for their family. I
also can’t help but wonder what it would be like to all of a sudden discover I
was pregnant. I know that nothing is
impossible with God and I don’t know what our future holds. Our family still has the option to grow; it
is just under more unconventional terms.
But there is one thing I can hold on to.
Yes, she is my only child. Yes, I have a child.
No comments:
Post a Comment