One of the Freedom Festival events in town every year is the Balloon Glow. We marked it on our calendar this year because Aria loves hot air balloons. We weren't quite sure what to expect, but heard some positive comments from others who had been before. The only way I can think to describe it is a ginormous picnic with some hot air balloons in the middle. There was live music, kids' inflatables and activities, and food vendors, but we didn't take part in much of that because the lines were about 3 miles long. We simply plopped our blanket and chairs down with friends and enjoyed a nice evening. There were literally thousands of people on this big lawn at a historical site in town. I figured if that many people were there, it must be a good event. It helped that the weather was perfect.
Our evening started with Aria's first ever school bus ride as a shuttle from parking to the event. She also got a hot air balloon tattoo upon entering the gate. (I think she has finally got their name down, as she had been calling them statues.) Then we saw one of my very best college friends, and maid of honor in our wedding, which was really fun! Once we staked out our spot, way far away from the above mentioned "entertainment," I took a loop around the place. Being the claustrophobic that I am, I immediately just wanted to get back to our blanket and knew there was no way I was bringing Aria into those crowds. I stood in the shortest food line and got some popcorn and ice cream. Back at the blanket we enjoyed talking with our friends and watching the kids play. Throughout the night a few balloons were blown up and then went back down. As it got darker, 5 balloons were blown up and were lit up whenever they blew the flame. Aria was especially thrilled with the balloons. She went with our friend and her daughter to get an up close view and she still tells people about that. I must say I was a little disappointed in the balloons. I was kind of hoping they would go up in the air a bit or be more illuminated. But I was not disappointed in the night. It was a great evening spent with friends and Aria definitely enjoyed seeing the balloons. Sometimes it is good to be reminded to find joy in simple things.
No comments:
Post a Comment