7.23.2013

Garden Update


We are eating food from the garden!!  I am so excited that things are growing!  Well, when I say we are eating food from the garden, I should say I am.  The first things to come were radishes.  Everyone has tried them and declared them rather spicy.  Justin has eaten a few, but I think I am the only one who likes them.  Today I plucked a bright red cherry tomato from the vine, offered it out, and got to eat it myself!  Yum!!

As I look at this picture I took last week, I am amazed at how much more the garden has grown since then.  Let's start at the top:

Tomato plants are taking over the world.  They are out of control and on top of the pepper plants, but there are a lot of green tomatoes on them!!  Next year I will have to spread them out more.

Green pepper plants are trying to hang on for dear life as the tomato plants tackle them.  There are some little buds of peppers, but I don't know if they will grow under the tomatoes.

Three rows of green beans are next.  I saw some green beans on them today for the first time!  I was so giddy with excitement!  They are my favorites!  I do find it incredibly odd that the plants near the yard are doing so much better than the ones near the house.

Next are the carrots.  They seem to be doing fine.  Hard to tell with something growing under ground.  The leafy green part looks good.

Then comes one row of peas.  I've learned peas like to climb a fence, so I will only be planting them near a fence in the future.  But there are pea pods on them!  Almost as exciting as green beans.  Can't hardly wait for them to plump up so I can eat them!  Again, the ones near the yard are doing so much better.  I assume it is because of the fence.

Next are the radishes.  I planted w-aaaaaaa-yyyy too many in the little row.  They were overgrown.  Even though we have gotten several to eat, I'm sure I could have gotten a lot more had I spaced them out more.  But, what would I do with hundreds of radishes?  These are about done, I think.

Last is the row of peas next to the fence.  Wow did the fence make a difference.  There are so many pods on there.  I just want to eat them!

And yes, I need to pull some weeds.  Especially outside the box between it and the house. 

This gardening thing has been fun.  I had only one goal with this; to plant stuff and have it grow.  That has happened and we have enjoyed eating things.  Now that I have a bit of experience, I will plan better next year.  And I may only plant peas and green beans.

No comments: