Yesterday, August 7, 2013 I was baptized! It happened at our church's annual picnic and baptism at Palo. I am really thankful for the whole experience and feel extremely blessed to be a part of an awesome church family.
My journey to baptism really started shortly after Aria was born. We participated in a child dedication service at church for Aria when she was three months old, but didn't have her baptized like both Justin and I were as infants. After that, as with many things in parenting, I really wanted to know why I didn't baptize her. I started doing some research online and in the Bible about baptism. I blogged about that research here. Well, that was over two years ago and I've been wrestling with being baptized ever since.
This spring and summer, God has really been providing some encouragement for me to get baptized. The subject of baptism just seemed to come up a lot. And every time I thought about it on my own, there was always a message or a mention of someone I knew being baptized that happened shortly there after. I knew it was time.
Why did I want to be baptized? After learning that infant baptism was not something that came from the Bible, I really felt it was necessary for me to declare my faith through baptism. I know my salvation was secure before I was baptized, but I also felt like I hid from my faith a lot and I don't want to do that anymore. Being baptized is a way to publicly declare that I love and follow Jesus and I think it can be the start to me publicly declaring that all the time.
I am so thankful for our church family at New Covenant Bible Church. I have developed some sincere, deep friendships. I have been challenged spiritually. I have been supported tremendously. I often speak of the small group we were a part of for almost six years. Those people really taught me about God, pulled me out of the depths of despair and back to Him during infertility, and loved me like He does. Another thing that has really helped me grow is being a middle school sponsor. I signed up for it because I loved teaching middle schoolers, but I really had no idea how to share my faith with them. But the middle school pastor, Mark, has really challenged me and help me grow in my ability to share my faith and help those middle schoolers grow in theirs. I am very thankful for him, his support, his friendship, and serving in the middle school ministry with him, which is why I chose Mark to baptize me.
I don't know that I can really put into words what it felt like out there. There were 38 people who got baptized last night. We were split into 5 groups. Each person shared their testimony on the beach to the big crowd then headed out to the water to be baptized. I was in a group with two middle school girls that I know very well, which was really awesome. I am so proud of them for speaking in front of a large crowd and placing their trust in Jesus! Once in the water, we each had our turn. I could tell it was a special moment not only for those being baptized, but also for those doing the baptizing. The water was cold, but it didn't matter. It was also very clear and beautiful. The sunset was beautiful. Where I once was afraid of being in front of so many people, I didn't even notice they were there. I just kept asking God to make it all about Him and He really did. I stood next to Mark and he said something like...
"Julie, having heard your public profession of your faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, and your desire to passionately follow Him, I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Dead and buried with Christ (go down into the water) and raised to a new life in Him (raised out of the water).”
It was very emotional. I had tears in my eyes and I was choked up, but I was extremely happy all at the same time. Justin, Aria, my parents, and Justin's parents were standing right on the shore watching, along with our really good friends the Ryons. Plus I had many other friends out in the crowd there to support me, too. It meant a lot to me to have all those people there. It is a moment and an evening I won't ever forget.
Most of all, what my baptism means to me is that I have decided all on my own to follow Jesus with my whole heart. I want to proclaim his good news to the world and love others like he does. I will make mistakes and I won't be perfect, but I will strive to glorify him in everything I do.






2 comments:
It was a true honor and privilege to be standing there with you. To be allowed to baptize you was one of the most outstanding moments of my ministry life and one I will take to eternity with - thanks for who you are Julie - It is beyond words to know you and your wonderful family. Blessings just a middle school guy
What a wonderful testimony, Julie. I am happy to know you've taken this step as an adult. Many would have said, "Oh, I've been baptized as an infant," and that would have been good enough. But your step is true to Jesus' teachings. Your baptism is a symbol of death to sin and resurrection in Him. I know what a good example you are and have always been to others, but especially to children. And here you've done it again! Love to you and your family.
Post a Comment