8.22.2013
Scrambled Eggs
For all of Aria's previous life, until a few months ago, she has very much disliked scrambled eggs. She was cautious of all eggs for a long time, but eventually warmed up to the egg white of a hard boiled egg and then the egg white of a fried egg. I was always a bit bummed about her not liking scrambled eggs because Justin and I both like them and they are such an easy breakfast food. For some reason (and I think it has to do with Hy Vee Chinese fried rice) Aria decided she likes scrambled eggs a couple months ago. Since then I think she has asked for them for breakfast at least 5 times a week. But the really cool thing, and the point of this blog post, is that she can make them almost completely herself. She gets out the eggs. She gets out the milk. She gets out a bowl and a fork. She cracks the eggs. She pours in the milk (unless it is a completely full gallon). She stirs them up. Sometimes she even pours them into the pan on the stove. The only thing I won't let her do is flip them over on the stove. And she doesn't want to do that anyway. I think some of her liking of scrambled eggs is because she can do it almost completely herself. She definitely feels empowered and independent from cooking something herself! She also can do her own toast, but I don't think she finds that as fun. I am thrilled to let her do things that maybe she seems to young for because I believe it builds her confidence and helps her learn how to make her own decisions and deal with natural consequences. If the eggs spill, she has to clean them up. If a piece of shell gets in the bowl, she has to dig it out. It is simple lessons of cause and effect like this that are all part of growing up. Sometimes I'm just blown away by how fast it happens!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment