3.04.2011
Bible Reading
Recently I started a new Bible reading plan. I have already been through the whole Bible, via the Chronological Bible in a year (only it took me slightly longer...I had a baby in that time). Since then I have been reading random books and chapters suggested mostly by pastors at church. But, I wanted something that would take me through the whole thing again. I also wanted to read all of "The Message" Bible I got for Christmas. I had heard about reading in multiple places at once from the senior pastor at our church, but didn't choose to start that plan until I read about it again in another book I'm reading (that I'll report on when I'm done). Basically, the idea is to read in 5 different places each day. The first is 'The Law' (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy). The second is 'History' (Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings, 1 & 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther). The third is 'Poetry' (Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Songs). The fourth is 'The Prophets' (I think that is self-explanatory...Isaiah through Malachi). The fifth is the New Testament. I didn't find a specific 'read these chapters on this day plan', so I just planned it out myself. In case you want to know, 'The Law' has 187 chapters, 'History' has 249, 'Poetry' has 243, 'The Prophets' has 250, and The New Testament has 260. Yes I counted them all...I didn't look it up. So, for now I am just reading one chapter from each of the five sections each day. Eventually I run into a problem because there are quite a bit fewer chapters in 'The Law' than anywhere else, but most would also consider 'The Law' the more difficult section to read. Right now, 13 days in, I am really enjoying reading in the different places. It keeps me on my toes and I don't get bogged down in one particular section. It is kind of nice how it works out that the sections relate. For example, I am reading about Abraham and God's promise of land to his descendents in Genesis at the same time as I read about Joshua distributing that land to the 12 tribes. I wouldn't necessarily suggest this type of plan for a first-time reader of the Bible because it can get confusing skipping around, but then again just reading the Bible is always great! I am excited to continue this plan throughout most of this year and to learn more of what God has to say to me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Here's the Bible reading plan I'm using now: http://www.challies.com/christian-living/ten-chapters-per-day
Ok, I'm actually reading about one third of the plan, but hey I'm reading!
Here are some other plans I've come across (in case you want to save time in the future).
Bible reading plan for slackers and shirkers: http://www.ransomfellowship.org/publications/notes_biblereadingprogram.pdf
Discipleship Journal: http://www.navpress.com/uploadedFiles/15074%20BRP.dj.pdf
Post a Comment