6.22.2011

Dads

So I'm a few days late, but I don't think that really matters.  I have a really spectacular dad!  And I have a really spectacular dad as a husband!  I'm not about to tell you that isn't related at all because it is.  The old cliche that you marry someone like your father is very much true for me...right down to the black hair and green eyes (and even pant size)!  I have always been a daddy's girl.  I'm not sure if something specific caused me to be this way, but my mom will tell you it's because my dad had a hard time telling me no.  Here's what I remember about growing up with my dad:
  • Playing basketball in our hallway as BJ Armstrong (me) and some other random Hawkeye (dad)
  • Coming up with goofy nicknames for the players of whomever Iowa was playing
  • The first time I beat my dad in one-on-one when he was trying for real
  • An article featuring my dad and his goofy 'never give up' t-shirt he wore when I was a senior in high school and we had to launch a big comeback in the 4th quarter of the regional semi-final game
  • The long promised limo ride around Des Moines when I finally made it to state
Okay...all my memories don't have to do with basketball...
  • Life savers in his pocket at church
  • Notes when he left in the mornings before I was up
  • Being at every event I ever participated in
  • When I thought I would break the rules a bit as a teen and I'd come home bawling because I knew I let him down
  • When I went off to Luther College and then realized in the middle of the night it was not where I wanted to be and even though I could drive myself home, my dad drove up to follow me home and make sure I was okay
  • The time I accidentally rear-ended a car here in CR and called my dad blubbering incomprehensibly and he immediately drove here even though I really was okay
  • Getting random letters, cards, newspaper clippings, and pictures in the snail mail during college
  • I've never heard a better father of the bride speech at a wedding than my dad's (okay so I might be slightly biased)
I could go on and on and on.  I have a great dad!  I am so very lucky!  He taught me to be the confident, independent, analytical person I am today.  He has always supported me, been there to catch me when I fall, and lifted me back up again.  Happy Father's Day (again) Dad!  I love you!


Oh, and to the little girl in my house, I can already tell you have a daddy that will be making all sorts of those same memories with you!  Someday, you can write a blog and talk about how awesome your dad is because I see it every day!

No comments: