Today we finally attended our last graduation party! We were invited to 33 parties for 36 people ranging from Saturday, May 7 until next Saturday! I actually was only able to attend 30 of the parties, but that was because we were at a wedding during one, a wedding shower during another, and the one next week is during my cousin's wedding and it is in Minnesota. Otherwise I definitely would have attended them all. Most people have gotten quite wide-eyed when I explain what we've been doing in May and June. But truly, I have enjoyed all of the parties! I get very excited for graduation season mostly because it means seeing former students that I often haven't seen in 4 years. The party-going has become more interesting these days with a toddler in tow, but also more fun for the graduates to see her. And, she didn't make every party. A lot of them occurred during nap time and I had to travel alone. But, she did get to try many new foods, acquire some balloons, and meet tons of people who were so excited to see her! Overall, Aria did quite well at the parties and started to get excited when we told her we had another party to attend!
So here is the run down of our party relations this year:
- 33 high school graduates; 2 college graduates
- 25 of them are former students of mine
- 6 of them are former basketball players I coached
- 1 beautiful young lady whom I was privileged to have taught and coached
- a cousin of mine
- one all-time leading scorer for women's soccer at UNI
- 2 sons of a former colleague
- 1 former student who graduated high school in 3 years
- the son of a friend from my Mt. Mercy days
- 1 family friend
- 2 different sets of twins
- and the one party we were invited to because of Justin...his cousin :)
Aside from seeing all of these amazing people and celebrating their high school accomplishments, I also really enjoy hearing what their future plans are. There is just something special about the excitement of growing up, heading out on your own, and dreaming big about what to do with your life. I used to teach talented and gifted students so I get to hear about some big aspirations. I'm not trying to say that only talented and gifted students can have big aspirations, not at all. I just am always amazed at where they're going and what they want to do. I spoke with future lawyers, doctors, music therapists and international business people. I chatted with people who are going to be foreign exchange students for a year and then start college. I got to celebrate with a USA basketball player headed for the infamous UConn. And, of course, I talked to people who just didn't know yet.
While I thoroughly enjoyed going to all the parties, I am glad the season is over. Add in moving at the beginning of May, 2 wedding showers, 2 weddings, Mother's Day, Memorial Day, and my dad's birthday, and we were spending a lot of time celebrating. I'm looking forward to a weekend without something on the schedule, which will be the last weekend in June. It will be the first time since the weekend of April 16. We do have a great new home to enjoy and I won't mind spending more time in it!
So thank you, graduates of 2011, for inviting me to celebrate with you! I enjoyed chatting with you and hearing about the dreams for your future and I wish you the very best. Class of 2012, I'll be ready to celebrate you come next May!
No comments:
Post a Comment