6.17.2011

Splash Pad

Yesterday I took Aria to the Splash Pad at a local park for the first time.  Well, technically we went last summer, too, but she didn't do much splashing back then.  What a blast!  She loves water and was ready to check it out as soon as we pulled in the parking lot!  Aria is not one of those mega-outgoing types that immerses herself in whatever situation presented (got that from her mama).  So, she usually observes and analyzes before really diving in.  It was no different with the splash pad, but it sure didn't take long for her to love it!  She never really stood on top of the sprinklers or tried to soak herself completely with the water, but she did love running through it and pointing to all the different faucets.  My favorite was when she would notice a set of sprinklers and head towards it only to find it had shut off.  She would look at me with hands in the air as if to say, "where did it go?"  I did capture that on video, but it was in the middle of some other not so good footage so it missed the cut. 

Aside from our wonderful water experience, we also had a 3ish little boy that kept squirting Aria with a water gun.  Occasionally, his mother (or at least the woman who seemed to be in charge of him) would yell at him to stop.  That didn't help much.  But the real treat was when 2 women took it upon themselves to tell ask that mom (or whatever she was) to stop smoking right on the splash pad.  Of course, that did not go over well and we soon had a shouting match.  I'm not sure what was worse for the kids, the smoking or the shouting.  Sure, I didn't like that the lady was smoking and I was trying to steer Aria away from that area.  I don't know if there was a no smoking sign (I didn't see one), but it does seem like it should be common courtesy.  However, sometimes people make choices you don't really appreciate, but have to live with anyway.  Through the shouting the smoker kept demanding it was her right and the other women were talking about the health and safety of the kids.  I personally really dislike smoking and have always tried to steer far away from people who choose to do so.  But, if there were not any signs or rules about no smoking, then I guess it was that lady's right.  Of course, asking her to put it out probably could have been done a little more politely, too.  I'm glad Aria is still oblivious to encounters like these.  Someday soon I will have to explain things like that to her and it doesn't sound like much fun.  I guess it just represents a part of life, dealing with things we don't like and how to do so gracefully.  Add in the grown men practicing their renaissance fighting with over sized medieval weapons nearby and our afternoon was full of interesting encounters!  In spite of my complaining about the negatives, I'm sure we will be repeat visitors to the splash pad!  They really are a great addition to the parks!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

What a day! Caleb would have loved the over-sized medieval weapons. We'll have to go together sometime!