6.29.2011

Parent Mode

Recently Justin and I took our first overnight trip away from Aria!  It was probably long overdue, but we just hadn't got around to taking a trip.  We went to Minneapolis with the main purpose of attending a Dodgers/Twins game.  One of our 'bucket list' things (or I should say 30) is to attend every team's park in Major League Baseball.  We've made it to four so far; St. Louis, Cincinnati, Seattle, and Minnesota.  We each have been to other parks, but not with each other.  We're just trying to attend a game every summer in some place new.  We came up with the idea after having been to St. Louis a lot because I am a Cardinals fan.  One summer we decided to pick a new city to visit and watch either the Dodgers (Justin's a fan) or Cardinals.  That is how we ended up in Cincinnati a few years ago.  We went to Seattle to visit a great friend and former baseball teammate of Justin's and caught a game with him (and his wife).  This year we picked Minnesota because the Dodgers were in town and they have a new park.  We really enjoy taking in the stadium atmosphere and the games! 

However, this is the first game we've been to since the wonderful addition of Aria to our family.  And even though we didn't bring her along, she was certainly in the front of our minds!  Part way through the trip I told Justin I could tell we have definitely entered "Parent Mode."  While we really enjoyed our time away and the game, we couldn't help but point out all the things Aria would like along the way.  We even caught ourselves speaking in her cute little language occasionally, too.  We are excited to bring her to the 'Water Park of America' hotel near the Mall of America someday.  Every time we saw a flag we said 'ooooooooooo' like she would have.  We would have visited the aquarium at the Mall of America had she been with us and rode on the rides.  She would have enjoyed playing with the 2ish year old little girl who was sitting behind us at the game.  But we were also glad we didn't have her on the packed, smelly, vulgar languaged Hiawatha Light Rail that took us from the Mall to the stadium.  We also never would have been able to stay out until midnight or sleep in had she been along. 

Because of all this, I decided it is really fun to see the world through a child's eyes.  I can understand now why my parents wanted to give me the world and every opportunity in it.  There is a simplicity and naivety to life when you are looking at it like an 18 month old.  I am so excited for all vacations have in store for us when we do take Aria along.  I'm also very thankful for grandma who was willing to wear herself out chasing around a toddler so we could take a trip just for us, too!

No comments: