Recently, the last book in "The Inheritance Cycle" by Christopher Paolini came out. This series has been almost as near and dear to my heart as Harry Potter. Almost. It will take one amazing series to ever top my favorite books, but "The Inheritance Cycle" certainly capped my interest and I read them just as I did Harry Potter, every second I could. I even went to a midnight party for the coming out of the third book in the series. For those of you who aren't familiar with the name, "The Inheritance Cycle," maybe Eragon would ring more of a bell. Eragon was the first book in the series and he is the main character. They made a movie of the first book, but it was not good, at least in my opinion. And, they were dumb in their making because they used things from the second book in the movie, causing them to not be able to make a movie about book two. So, the readers were left to just the books, but they were certainly enough. I always think the book is better than the movie, so I don't mind.
Whenever I recommend "The Inheritance Cycle" to another reader, I always compare it to the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, but more for teens. (Yes, I'm a big time teen novel reader. It comes from teaching them.) It has elves, dwarves, and humans, but the main difference is that it has dragons and dragon riders. It is a story of an evil king, Galbatorix, who is trying to take over all of Alagaesia. It has a young, inexperienced boy as the "good guy" in Eragon. Eragon is a dragon rider. In this world, dragons live in eggs until they are found and matched with their specific rider. Dragons only hatch for their rider, unless you use evil magic like Galbatorix. Eragon had no knowledge of dragon riders when he came upon what he thought was a cool blue stone. Pretty soon a dragon hatched from the stone and he became a dragon rider.
The entire series revolves around Eragon's training to become a great Dragon Rider and his battles with Galbatorix. When Eragon's dragon, Saphira, hatched there was only one other dragon in the world. It belonged to Galbatorix. Galbatorix also had two eggs he was trying to hatch for his evil followers. So, all the good guys thought that Eragon was their only hope. The books are full of action with many battles. However, it is never very gruesome. There is just a little bit of romance, but it is in the form of a crush Eragon has on an elf, Arya. Anyone recognize that name? Yes, I particularly like Arya in these books and in part came up with my Aria's name from her. Anyway, the books are clean, interesting, exciting, and hard to put down.
I was more than happy with most of the final book in the series. I thought Paolini did a good job wrapping up the story. I was pretty sad about one of the results, but I won't share it on here in case someone wants to read them! As much as I couldn't put the book down for the four or five days it took me to read it, I was sad when I was done because, much like Harry Potter, there will be no more Eragon stories to read. Some might think it is silly to get wrapped up in a book like I do, but it is my form of entertainment. I really enjoy fantasy books and the anticipation for the next book in a series to come out. I don't think I have any unfinished series that I'm waiting for anymore. I guess someone is going to have to introduce me to a new one!
No comments:
Post a Comment