6.13.2012

Insurance

I had to browse our book-o-insurance the other day for a different matter and I decided to look up our coverage for infertility.  Justin has a different job than when we went through in vitro and therefore different insurance.  Same result.  Of course it isn't covered.  When I went to the infertility/fertility section, I learned that insurance covers whatever kind of preventative measures a couple wants to take, but not any in vitro or other process.  Vasectomy, tubal ligation, birth control, all insurance covered options.  So, apparently it is okay to NOT want to have a baby, but it is not okay to WANT to have a baby.  This just really irritates me.  I know there is an argument of choice and a non-necessary procedure, but shouldn't it be the same for a vasectomy or tubal ligation?  Why are they necessary?  I'm sure there are other arguments of success rates and those whose practices are not appropriate, but really when it comes down to it, it is probably a financial thing.  Urgh!  I got it off my chest and I can move on now.  Maybe.

No comments: