5.29.2012

Why I Stopped Wearing Make-Up

"But the Lord said to Samuel, “Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”  1 Samuel 16:7

A little over a month ago I was in charge of the middle school girls' retreat at our church.  My theme for the retreat was Free to be Me.  I really wanted the girls to understand that God makes each one of us special, unique, beautiful, and in His image.  One day in February, I had the details of the retreat on my mind.  I was getting ready to go somewhere and I looked in the mirror and thought, "I look hideous!  I need to put some make-up on."  For some reason, as soon as the thought crossed my mind, it hit me like a ton of bricks.  How could I preach to a group of middle school girls about inner beauty and being comfortable with who God made them if I thought of myself as hideous without make-up?  So, I didn't wear any.  The next day I didn't wear any, either.  I decided I was going to take a break from make-up until I knew I was beautiful without it.

I didn't wear make-up at all until after the retreat.  In the beginning I was extremely self-conscious. I felt like people were staring at me.  I worried about what they thought of me.  I assumed they thought I was ugly.  I didn't tell anyone, including my husband, about my make-up fast.  And nobody asked, either.  Slowly, my worries started to go away.  It was nice to have the extra five minutes in the morning.  I liked not having to worry about smearing it.  I realized it was extremely selfish and vain of me to think someone would study me so closely to notice I made the change.  I truly started to feel beautiful for who God made me au naturale

A few days before the retreat, I was going over my message with Justin and I told him about my two months without make-up.  He said he didn't even notice.  He thinks I'm beautiful all the time.  I'm sure he thinks I'm beautiful on the outside, but what that really meant to me is that he thinks I'm beautiful on the inside.  That's where it really counts.  And I am one lucky girl!

I told the girls about my stop in make-up.  I'm not sure if it made a difference.  Middle schoolers aren't known for telling you how they feel.  I can say that it breaks my heart when I see any girl or woman with tons of make-up on.  My first impression is that they are insecure about their beauty.  On the other hand, I am not trying to say make-up is a bad thing.  It can be fun to have a spa day, get all dressed up for a special occasion, or it can be an excellent tool of expression.  I do think it is bad if a person thinks they need make-up to be beautiful.  I just challenged the girls to really think about why they wear it, how much they wear, and when they wear it. 

My mom has never worn make-up a day in her life.  She has never had any desire to do so.  And, I know she doesn't worry one bit about what people think of her choice to be make-up free.  It just isn't part of her style or who she is.  I think it is pretty awesome that she is comfortable in her own skin and it has been quite inspirational for me for a very long time. 

I have worn make-up one time since February.  Justin and I got to go on a much needed date and I decided to get dressed up for the occasion.  I didn't wear much and I don't think Justin even noticed.  I may or may not wear make-up for special occasions from now on.  It will probably just depend on my mood and the amount of time I have to get ready.  I do know that I will never, ever wear it because I need it to look beautiful. 

"Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. 4 You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God."  1 Peter 3:3-4

No comments: