6.27.2013

She's Getting Braver

Last year I just about gave up on splash pads.  I think they are a fantastic, free way to cool off in the summer.  Aria, however is bothered by the noise and the splashing in her face.  She pretty much would not set foot in them last summer.  She loved the idea of going, but usually we would get there and she would stand near it for about 5 minutes and then declare she was done.

We had a change in plans this week when swimming lessons were called off due to lightning that was about 50 miles away, I think.  (Okay, I know they want to be safe, but seriously, the storm was not near us and we have missed 3 classes in a row due to weather.)  So we went to a splash pad.  We were the only people there, which was a great benefit to my cautious daughter.  She ran through the sprinklers, sat down on some of them, drank out of them, and had a grand time!  I think there are three contributing factors to her bravery at the splash pad this week.  1. The aforementioned fact we were the only ones there.  2.  She is gaining confidence and realizes the fun outweighs the fear.  3.  She is probably 3 or more inches taller than last summer and the water doesn't come right up to face level as much.  Whatever the reasons, she certainly had a great time!  I am looking forward to trying them more.  And, not dealing with a swim diaper this summer adds a great deal to my patience and willingness to go, even for just 5 minutes.

No comments: