A couple Saturdays ago we hosted the 8th grade girls at our house to make and decorate cookies for Mission of Hope. Mission of Hope is a shelter, yet so much more. I love their mission to give the people that pass through their doors the best. They want to meet the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of the people who need it the most. We decided to help that process a little bit by taking cookies for them to enjoy.
We had a good turn out of 12 girls that day. We ate pizza and decorated over 150 cookies. We also made some other cookies. Aria jumped right in with the older girls and decorated cookies, too. She did several and didn't even ask to eat one. I was so impressed with her heart for the project. It took her a few minutes to not be shy, but eventually she was asking girls to pass certain colors of frosting and sprinkles. It was kind of scary to see her acting so old!
Once we were finished with all the cookies, we delivered them downtown to Mission of Hope. That was a great experience for all of us. First of all, it is located in a not-so-nice part of town. I could tell there were people on the streets that made some of the girls nervous. Once inside Mission of Hope, I could instantly tell the need of the people there. The physical need maybe wasn't so evident, but the emotional need was strong. So many people were craving attention, someone who would talk to them and listen. One lady was very interested in talking to Aria. She kept saying, "I miss that." It makes me wonder what small child is no longer part of her life.
I'm glad the middle school girls and Aria and I got to experience the whole day. It opens my eyes to how needy my own community is. I also can see into the hearts and lives of the middle schoolers a bit more when they come to my house and interact in a different way than at church. I am so very thankful for all I've been able to experience as a middle school sponsor. It is great for my family and hopefully for them, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment