12.31.2013

What's He Sayin?


I took a picture of this sign during the summer of 2012 at the Magic House Children's Museum in St. Louis.  At the time Aria was 2.5.  I took the picture with my friend, who was a mother of a four-year-old at the time, in mind.

Aria is not quite four, but I believe she has reached the "average four-year-old" this sign describes.

Mom, what kind of bird is that?
What is he doing?
What is he saying? (This question is asked about all kinds of people and animals everywhere, constantly, all throughout the day.)
What does he live in?
Where is his nest?
Why is he just sitting there?

What is Augie saying? (this one is repeated at least 35 times a day)
Where is my (fill in the blank of specific toy being looked for)?
Why can't I watch tv?
What are we having for supper?
What are we doing tomorrow?

What is Eadie's last name?
What is Evelyn's last name?
What does Isaac's house look like?
Why don't I have Little Praises tonight?
Do I have preschool tomorrow?
What day is it?
Is it going to rain tonight (asked every night at bedtime)?

What are you doing?
Do you want to read a book?
Do you want to watch a puppet show?
Why do I have to have rest time?
What does this say?
What does that word mean?
Which way do we go to get to Sophia's house
How many interstates do we drive on to get to Grandma's and Papa's?
Why are you exercising?
How do you turn this on?

And on and on and on and on

and

on

and

on

and

on.

I keep telling myself that someday I am going to count all the questions.  I usually give up by about 8 am.  There are moments I get annoyed with some questions, especially the ones she knows the answers to but asks them anyway.  But mostly it is kind of fun to see her trying to figure out the world around her.  She is comfortable with me and she sees me as someone who knows all the answers, so she asks.  And asks.  And asks.  I suppose in about 9 or 10 years I will all of a sudden know nothing and I will yearn for her to ask me some questions.  Maybe I should record some questions now so I can watch them then.  For now I will continue to enjoy watching her grow and learn through her 437 questions every day.

No comments: