2.16.2012

Distractions

Does this happen to anyone else?

Just a few minutes ago, I logged in to my email to send the weekly prayer and announcements for our church group.  When I got into my email I read the new messages, scrolled through and answered ones I had left for another time, and spent time cleaning up my inbox.  Then I logged out and moved on to another Internet endeavor.  Minutes later I saw my little prayer sheet and (grrrrrr) realized I didn't send the prayer email.  Guess what?  I had a few new messages when I got back into my email and I almost forgot to send it AGAIN!  What in the world is wrong with me?  I specifically sit down to do something and I can't even remember what it was two minutes later.  I've heard of losing your memory as you get older, but so far I haven't really felt that old at 30. 

Actually, this kind of thing happens to me a lot.  There have been numerous times I've sat down to send someone a specific message on Facebook and I get completely distracted by all the other things on Facebook so I forget why I'm on there in the first place.  Then, I spend an hour fiddling around doing nothing and I am irritated for wasting my precious nap time. 

I think I am just easily distracted.  In this information world, there are things coming at me from several different angles.  Sometimes I just need to shut it all off and focus on one thing at a time.  Maybe multi-tasking isn't as productive as I think.  If I gave all my attention and energy to one task, I would be so much more productive. 

Food for thought as I sit for an hour in front of the computer...

No comments: