2.13.2012

The Letter 'B'

Well, I wasn't expecting for 'B' week to include 'B'arfing and 'B'ad headaches, but it did, which ruined a lot of my original plans for the week, but at least it still fit the correct letter.

When thinking of things for 'B' week, I realized there are so many things in our lives that begin with 'B'!  We go to bed every night with a blanket.  We eat breakfast every morning.  There's blue, black, and brown.  We love all kinds of ball and banging.  We take baths and we get bumps and bruises.  It really wasn't too hard to focus on 'B'. 

Big 'B' and little 'b' were cut out and put up on the closet door, along with a blue balloon.

We made a list and collage of 'B' people: Grandma and Papa Blow, Brinson, Becca, Brynlee, Brayden, Big Bird, Bert, and Benita.  We also talked about the infamous dogs Bowser and Bella.

My awesome friend directed me to this website, which has a lot of nice printables and we printed the 'B' page to color.  We also added a butterfly, basketball, baseball, bear, bike, blueberries, and a banana to the page. 

Our exciting activity for the week was to attend 2 basketball games.  Que the barfing.  Aria and I went to a local high school basketball game on Tuesday.  Justin was at Men's Fraternity and was joining us later.  While at the game, Aria was munching away on some goldfish crackers (I know they don't start with 'B').  All of a sudden, she half-choked on one and started coughing.  She proceeded to barf into my hands just a little bit.  She was totally not sick; she just gagged on her crackers.  But it was still a little bit of barf and it was disgusting.  And I was there in the stands by myself.  Amazingly, I didn't panic.  I made sure she was okay.  Of course she was perfectly fine and wanted to keep eating the crackers.  I wouldn't let her and made her drink water.  I took off her sweater...thank goodness it was hot in there and a t-shirt was fine.  I cleaned it all up as best I could and we stayed to watch the game.  Might sound crazy to you, but she was really fine.

Well, later that night, actually early the next morning, I woke up and did my share of barfing.  I'm not really sure where it came from, but I was miserable for all of Wednesday.  Enter the bad headache.  Oh well.

I had planned to do some fun things in the bathtub like bubbles, boats, and to talk about baptizing.  We did read the story about John baptizing Jesus, but didn't get to do any acting or further explanation because I was not the one giving the bath in my above mentioned condition.  Baptism is a hard concept to understand and I wasn't expecting her to get it, other than it makes you clean.  She did like saying the word. We also sang the B-I-B-L-E song and talked about how God wrote to us in the Bible.

We made it through our second basketball game of the week without any incident watching the Hawkeye women.  We are so incredibly bummed that our friend, and biggest reason for watching, is hurt and can't play the rest of the season, but Aria did enjoy seeing Herky again.

As for food, we didn't actually try anything new, but realized we loved a lot of 'B' foods.  We had:
  • banana bread
  • banana-blueberry pancakes
  • bananas
  • blueberries
  • breakfast for supper
  • black bean burritos
  • basketball shaped pasta
  • bread (homemade)
  • broccoli
  • B shaped pbj
  • bunny shaped pbj
A big thanks to our friends who had a baby this week so we could talk about babies during 'B' week! 

We also have numerous books that start with 'B' like Barnyard Dance and Belly Button Book.  We checked out Biscuit and the Baby by Alyssa Satin Capucilli from the library and it was an instant favorite.  We also read Bugs, Beetles, and Butterflies, and The Ball Book.

And once again, impeccable timing allowed for Aria to spend the night at Grandma and Grandpa Blow's to finish off the weekend.  Justin and I had a fun event with our church group and had planned for this long before I decided to do letters of the week, but it worked out nice!

I realized this week that I'm not going to be super mom and always have every plan that develops in my head work out.  Aria still enjoyed 'B' week and we have a few things to put in her book.  I don't have any pictures or big concepts, but that is okay.  Sometimes it's the little things that make the most difference!

No comments: