2.22.2012

Mac Cheese

My child is a mac 'n cheese-a-holic.  This kid will eat it any day, any time.  When we go out to eat, she thinks it is specifically for 'mac cheese.'  If we are going somewhere that won't have mac cheese, like a pizza place, I have to specifically tell her what we are having instead of saying we're going out to eat.  In a restaurant, it doesn't bother me so much that she eats boxed macaroni and cheese.  Although, I do think it is funny when the menu claims to have "the cheesiest macaroni and cheese in town" when all it is, is Kraft from the box.  However, when I make mac cheese at home, I try to make it a bit healthier.  I usually cook wheat pasta.  Then I add a little bit of butter, a splash of milk and about 1/4 pound of Velveeta.  A lot of times I add some sort of vegetable to the mix because they go down easier when they are mixed in then when I serve them separate.  That way, about once a week, I can serve Aria her favorite dish without completely compromising healthy eating.  And, you should see the smile on her face when I tell her we're having mac cheese for supper! 

No comments: