I haven't done much of anything during my free time this week but read The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. Wow! Easily one of my favorite series. The books are set in the future United States, only it is called Panem. What was originally the US rebelled against the government and lost. Now the "Capitol" enforces each of the 12 districts to send one boy and one girl per year to participate in a televised fight to the death. The Hunger Games happen in an arena created by the Capitol and the Gamemakers with all sorts of extra roadblocks to fight besides each other. The main character is Katniss Everdeen, who volunteers to participate in the Games to take the place of her younger sister. Katniss is from the poorest district 12 and has learned how to survive and support her family after her father is killed in a mine explosion. She hunts illegally, trades on the black market, and trusts no one. She is intelligent, rough, and resilient; a very likable character!
This series fits in the same category as books like Fahrenheit 451, The Giver, and 1984. In my opinion it is better than all of those. I really like books with projections of the future, even if they seem a little far-fetched. I enjoyed this entire series a lot. I'm so glad I have a Kindle because as soon as I finished one, I had to start the next and I could by just downloading it! I loved the action and suspense created by the kill or be killed battle of the games. I also really liked that the main characters were teens. For some reason that made it more interesting to me than if the fighters had been adults. I liked how the story continued throughout the three books. Sometimes I don't like series because the books often don't feel related to each other by the end, but not this one. I couldn't put any of the books down and I enjoyed the entire story from start to finish! I haven't given much info beyond the start of the first book, but I don't want to give the story away for those that wish to read them! I would highly recommend it!
No comments:
Post a Comment