8.20.2011
House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker
I read a lot. In my mind, I'm always going to blog about the books I read because maybe some of you out there will be interested in them and it is a good way for me to reflect on what I took away from the story. However, I am often halfway through my next book by the time I blog about the previous one and then I just get confused. Usually I only blog about books I really enjoyed. Actually, I don't often read an entire book I don't enjoy unless it is for some sort of class or with a group. But this time, not so much. I really was not a fan of House. Yet for some reason, I just kept reading. It is kind of hard to explain without just telling the whole story. I enjoyed the suspense and the over-arching theme of good versus evil, but I really did not like the supernatural details. I kept reading because I did want to know how good would win (because good always has to win). The story is about two separate couples whose tires are slashed on a back road in Alabama. The only place to go for help is a lone house, which is where they meet each other. Once inside the house a whole slew of strange things begin happening to them, including learning they are a part of a game with these rules: 1. God came to my house and I killed him. 2. I will kill anyone who comes to my house like I killed God. 3. Give me one dead body and I might let rule #2 slide. The reader can tell throughout the book that the four main characters must repent of their sins and trust God and the evil will go away. I like that part. I just didn't like all the weird supernatural parts like there all of a sudden being multiples of the same character. I can see how this type of book would appeal to many readers out there, it just wasn't for me. I like fantasy and strange beyond belief type stories, but this one was a little too much. Needless to say, I'm glad I stuck it out because I did like it a small fraction better once I actually got to the end and now I know to avoid these types of books in the future. My list of 'want to read' is certainly long enough already that I should be able to do just that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment