3.22.2012

Conversations with a Toddler

Aria is saying some cute things lately.  Some of it comes from her unique way of trying to form sentences and not understanding all the rules of English.  Some of it comes from copying mommy and daddy.  Some of it, I have no idea where she gets it!  Here are a few examples:

This morning we read about Hannah in Aria's new Bible (which I love).  Hannah was sad because she wanted to have a baby.  She prayed to God and asked him to give her a son.  God answered her prayer and she had a baby boy and named him Samuel.  There was more to the story, but that's enough to get my point.  I explained to Aria that I used to be like Hannah.  I was very sad because I wanted to have a baby and I prayed to God and asked him to give me a baby.  Then God gave me Aria and she makes me so happy.  Aria was really listening to my story and said, "yeah" a few times as I was telling it.  When I was done she just looked at me for a minute and then said, "go to park."  Yep, that's the attention span of a toddler.

Recently we've had a couple of strangers in our house.  We had a guy come to tune the piano and we had a plumber over for a free inspection.  The whole time both of them were here, Aria repeated, "man come over tune piano" over and over and over.  Yes, even while the plumber was here, she thought we were still tuning the piano.

Tonight we were playing "catch" with several balloons and balls.  I put catch in quotes because Aria isn't able to catch very well yet.  One time the ball trickled away and Aria said, "how bout mommy get it."  I knew instantly where she got that because whenever Aria wants me to get something she can do herself, I say, "how about Aria get it."

Then, when Justin was playing catch with her, he threw it not very close to her one time and said, "bad throw."  From that point on, whenever Aria didn't catch the ball (which was just about every time) she said, "bad throw."  Hilarious!

She is also starting to work her stall tactics at bedtime.  As I tucked her into bed and kissed her good night, she said, "mommy sit here just a few minutes."  I loved her ability to use such a complex sentence so I did sit there for a minute and sang her a song! 

I wish I could remember all the sayings or have a constant recorder, but I'll have to settle for writing the ones I do remember and loving the ones I don't in the moment!

No comments: