3.09.2012

Pied Piper

Today Aria and I went to the Pied Piper Woodwind Quintet at the mall.  It was a 30 minute concert put on by members of Orchestra Iowa.  This is actually the second time we've been to a Pied Piper concert.  The first one was Percussion back in January.  While we liked listening to and watching the percussionists, I was extremely impressed by the Woodwind Quintet.  There was a flute, a clarinet, an oboe, a bassoon, and a french horn.  They each did an excellent job of explaining their instrument and getting right down on the level of the kids.  The bassoon player even took his bassoon apart and let a few kids hold the pieces.  They were silly, told jokes, made their instruments make funny noises, and played beautiful music.  They smiled, laughed and bopped along with the music.  It was very entertaining and it kept Aria's attention for the entire 30 minutes.  That is quite the feat for a two-year-old!  This is yet another example of a free activity in the area that exposes Aria to a different part of her world.  I love where we live and all that is available to us!  I can't wait for the next concert and especially for the Brass Quintet, which will be right up this former trumpeter's alley!

No comments: