If you are interested in learning how to trust God completely, read The Cure by John Lynch, Bruce McNicol, and Bill Thrall. This book was recommended by our pastor at church and I recently read it with my three of my bestest buddies. It is a pretty short book, but it has a powerful message. When I first began reading it, I was hooked because it isn't like most non-fiction books. There is a man telling his story on the path of life. He comes to a 'y' in the road and can go either towards the Room of Good Intentions or to the Room of Grace. I really like the story format of this man telling about his life and his struggles with trusting God. The whole book isn't his story. There are parts where it is text explaining the symbolism further, but the balance between the two is nice.
In the room of Good Intentions, people hide behind masks and declare that everything is just fine. Do you ever have that problem? I sure do. I try to put on a happy face and not reveal what is really happening in my life so I can look like a model Christian. But I don't need to do that. I am a mess. Christians are a mess, but we are saved by grace. It is okay to reveal your mess. "Our true faces are beautiful, too. God made them exactly the way He wanted, and He longs to see His reflection."
I don't even know where to begin to describe all the things I learned from this book. I am a work in progress when it comes to loving myself and being confident in who God made me and this book definitely gave me a boost in that area. I am going to finish the post by sharing several quotes from the book that I really loved.
[God says, in essence] 'What if I tell them there are no logs of past offenses, of how little they pray, or how often they've let me down? What if I tell them they are righteous, right now? What if I tell them I'm crazy about them?'
'What if they knew that, when they mess up, I'll never retaliate? What if they were convinced bad circumstances aren't my way of evening the score? What if they knew the basis of our friendship isn't how little they sin, but how much they all me to love them?'
"God created us with limitations so we can be loved by others. Instead of pretending we're 'doing fine,' we give others an opportunity to love us. We experience their love as we learn to tell each other we're vulnerable."
"God never tells me to get over something and just get past it. Never. Instead, He asks me to trust Him with every circumstance."
"He will never give you a second-best destiny. He has waited for you since before the world began, and He will never bury His intentions for you."
“Humility. That means trusting God is with us. Trusting God is for us, absolutely and completely able, never making any mistakes in moving us forward. He is fully sovereign. He loves me more than I love myself, and absolutely nothing can damage His total and complete control! He never messes up when it comes to you and me. I trust that even the worst events this life can bring are being used by God, forged into good. Not religious, pretend good, but the best actual turn of events for me! In fact, any other series of circumstances would have been worse or He would have brought them about instead.”
Truly a great read. Check it out. It is worth your time and will boost your spirits!
No comments:
Post a Comment