3.13.2012

The Letter F

There were a lot of little things that were Fun in 'F' week.  I realized that Aria has a relatively short attention span, so I don't have to plan big activities that take all morning.  We highlight things and spend 15 or 20 minutes on activities and that is enough for her to enjoy it, learn something, and then move on.

Big Concept: Aria doesn't know anyone whose name starts with 'F' and I didn't know of any Bible characters or stories with the letter 'F' either.  So, we focused on Family.  We made a collage of the people in Aria's family.  I stuck to immediate family because ours gets pretty large when I start including our aunts, uncles, and cousins and their families.  The picture on her closet this week had our family of three, a picture of the three of us with Papa and Grandma Blow, a picture of her with Papa and Grandma Pegump, and a picture of her with Aunt Teran.  We talked about how God made each of us and made us a family.  We prayed for our family and are so thankful everyone is so close and can be such a big part of Aria's life.

Food: We kicked off 'F' week with fajitas and fudgesicles.  I should have thought about chocolate fudgesicle and new dress, but it washed out! 


We also ate french fries, fish, french toast, farfalle, fishies, frosting on graham crackers, fruit snacks, and fruit.

'F' Pictures: We colored pictures of fish, frogs, feet, flags, fireworks, footballs, and flowers.

Activities: Aria got to pick out a flower at Hy Vee this week.  They were having a sale where all single stem flowers were $1.  I thought she would be excited about the big Gerbera daisies that were dyed bright colors, but she was set on a pink rose.  Sorry future boys after her heart, she likes the expensive ones!  We also bought some feathers to glue on to a big picture of Big Bird.  We talked a lot about what animals have feathers.  At first she kept saying that she had feathers and Augie had feathers.  But, I finally broke through and helped her understand that only birds have feathers and we talked about all the different kinds of birds.  It was a lot of fun!  Check out the video!


Books: We checked out all non-fiction 'F' books from the library this week.  We had books about ferrets, fish, frogs, and fire trucks.  We also had the Ff book, which was wayyyy better than the Ee book.  The things it talked about actually started with F.  When Aria first looked at the ferret book she said, "rabbit mouse."  I thought she was exactly right in her description of a ferret. 

There were things I didn't get to like making a frog puppet, watching things float in the bathtub, tracing her feet, and painting fingernails (which I did today), but maybe we can try those ideas next time!

No comments: