3.16.2012

The Non-Human Love of my Life

For as long as I can remember, I have loved basketball. 



That is my very first basketball hoop...and my dad putting it together. 

Basketball was something both of my parents enjoyed, so only naturally, it was passed on to me.  I have memories of playing basketball in the hallway of the house I grew up and pretending to be BJ Armstrong, while my dad was another Hawkeye.  I have memories of breaking garage door windows (both accidentally and on purpose) behind my outdoor hoop.  I remember going to Hawkeye games, a Bulls game, women's games, men's games, tournament games, college games, high school games, the state tournament, the Final Four.  Basketball is a big part of my life.  I played on an organized team from fourth grade through college.  I was an assistant coach for seven years after that.  Basketball is who I am. 

Therefore, the month of March is the greatest month in the world when it comes to basketball.  I love high school and college basketball.  The NBA, I could take it or leave it.  But the high school state tournaments and March Madness, there's just nothing better.  Yesterday and today are my favorite days of the year.  College basketball on from 11 am until 11 pm, wall to wall, awesome basketball!  It just doesn't get any better than that!  I don't really have any other point than that.  This is who I am.  This is what I love.  It is my favorite time of year!

No comments: