3.27.2013

Mismatch Night

Tonight was mismatch night at Middle School youth group at church.  Completely out of my comfort zone, I decided to go all out.



Unfortunately, not very many middle schoolers went all out.  In fact, there was probably only about 10 youth dressed mismatch out of about 100.  Being out of my comfort zone, got me thinking about how many of them were afraid to dress up.  I'm guessing they didn't participate for the following reasons:
  • they forgot
  • they didn't know about it
  • they are "too mature" to participate in a dress up day
  • they were afraid they might be the only one dressed up

You can't really do much about the first three, but the last one is so common.  I still struggle with hoping I blend in with the crowd.  Boy did I ever want to fit in and be cool during my middle school years.  It occurred to me tonight that it takes a great deal of courage to participate in a fun dress up night and not care what others think.  I'm really proud of the ones who participated.  They showed signs of great maturity in doing so. 

I know there were some kids who didn't dress up because it just wasn't their thing.  I applaud them, too.  I guess my main point is that kids in middle school are trying so hard to figure out who they are.  They spend so much time watching different groups, choosing friends, and pretending to be someone.  What they really need to do is just be who they are.  Stop worrying about what others will think, say, or do.  Do what you love.  Honor God with all of your actions.  Wear wacky clothes with pride, if that is your thing. 

Advice for middle schoolers...

and adults.

No comments: